I will spend my Memorial Day in the same manner I've spent it for a number of years.

I will be on the phone calling every Veteran that I know and thanking them for their service to the United States of America. It's grown to be a rather long list, but the calls are short (by necessity) and seem to be much appreciated.

I'd make the calls on Veteran's Day, but since I have to work on that day, I chose to make them on Memorial Day.

If you're a veteran and in case I miss you, please accept my thanks for your service so that my family and I may live free.

Unc.

PS -- Dancin' would you give me a call with G.L's number? I'm afraid I've misplaced it.

Unc,

Thanks accepted as I pass it on with my own thanks to all the other veterans past and present.

CMF

We are once again placing flags in the local cemetery and I will once again be able to answer all the boys questions. Don't forget that it is through them that we will all be remembered.

As many know I am still a Brit.

My Son and Her That Must Be Obeyed are both American. We as a family have each and every Memorial Day participated in our local small town Memorial Day celebrations, taking OJ in his stroller when he was a little fellow, marching in parades with him in Cub Scouts and now in Boy Scouts.

Our local VFW Post some years back made me a life time honorary member. Every year they send me a new key card that allows me entry into their bar. I'm sure that my honorary membership doesn't mean squat outside of my small town, but I'm honored just the same.

While I was shocked and horrified by what happened on 9/11. I met with and lived with people who lived through the London Blitz, as a kid I remember playing in houses that were bombed during the war and hadn't been rebuilt. The first house I bought in London still had an air raid shelter in the back yard. A back yard which is about the size of my living room.

Lord knows how much I admire the strength and the will power of the people of London, but I also know had not the Americans got involved when they did I might not be speaking English as my first language.

I look foreword every year to the PBS airing of the concert from the Mall and I do sing along with the patriotic songs, this year I will have Rory by my side and I know when they show the brave young men who have been wounded and talk about the men who have been killed I will tear up.

We had until a few years back an old World War One Vet. Who every year would in a very shaky voice get up and recite the poem In Flanders Fields. I miss old Cadet Shire (The old boys name)

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Powerful Words.

Eamonn

Tomorrow morning our Pack and Troop will spend the morning at the local Veterans cemetery.Every year the boys place flags at every grave. We have done this for the last 8 years.This year we have the honor of helping place over 3000 flags.My sons take pride in honoring those that did so much for them and their country.The boys have always attended the services on Monday with their Grandfather who served in the Army.Always in uniform at his request. Sadly he won't be with us this year.But my boys will still go in uniform as he would have wanted.We thank all those who have served this country in times of war and peace.

Thanks btps and Unc. Right back-atcha.

This year we're doing something that I hope will become a troop tradition. Tomorrow (Saturday) we're placing flags on the graves of all the veterans in the village cemetery. We have only 75 known veterans, but they range from the Revolutionary War thru Vietnam.

In addition, we're conducting a small ceremony on Memorial Day at a monument near our village hall. We've modelled the program after a court of honor with our Scouts running the show. The opening and closing prayers will be led by our Chaplain Aide and local clergy. The mayor and local VFW commander are invited speakers. Taps will be played by our Troop Bugler, accompanied by a Scout from a neighboring troop. Our chartered org is providing a wreath which will be set in place by a Boy/Cub Scout. Following the ceremony, all attendees will be invited to tour the cemetery to pay their respects.

I hope our actions help remind the folks in our local area of the original intent for this day. I know the senior members of our chartered org, and the VFW Post are thrilled at what we're doing.

Wishing you all a safe holiday.

I personally would like to thank all the vetrans that are reading this. I can't even imagine where we would be if you guys hadn't gone to war, and fought for this wonderful country. To those of you who lost family members who were fighting in the war, I'm deeply sorry for your loss, they fought for what they believed in, and died doing it. To me there is no greater sacrifice.

A few year back, at one of the camporees, they planned a ceremony you honor vetrans. At the end, all the scouts were given a chance to go and thank them. It was an honor for me to shake their hands.

Happy Memorial Day

My Trooop will be getting up early and putting on our "Class A" uniforms and meeting 0730 hrs to put out some 300 U.S. flags, all along our town's two main roads.

We'll meet again later at 1630 hrs and gather them all up.

- Oren

Scouts here will be assisting in placing a flower lei on every grave in the Punchbowl National Memorial Cemetery. I'm not involved, but will make my annual pilgrimage out there before I go over to the USS Missouri to conduct some Memorial Day tours. I add my thanks to all those who have served.

Will Do! They don't do it alone, lot's of folks out there putting out those leis. I agree with you that Punchbowl is an awesome cemetery. It does justice to those who rest there.

I plan on hitting ManyIron's function. Just down the street from me.

If you don't plan on doing anything special for M Day, head to your local cemetary, park, or town square. Most have a memorial for all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Say a little prayer there.

purcelce,

MSgt, USAF (ret)

My son and his shipmates from his Sea Scout ship will be out in their dress whites posting an 'Avenue of the Flags' early Monday morning prior to the town's parade. As I understand it they have full size flgs from every state as well as all the various American flags from Old Glort to today's.

He's really looking forward to it.

I don't know if I'm all wet or what, but I feel like the Lone Ranger on this one.

It's too late to thank the fallen men and women who have served in the armed forces. Please take the time to call those living veterans that you know and than them for their service. It doesn't take long and sure seems to go a long way in terms of their feeling the gratitude we owe them.

It doesn't take long to make a few phone calls and say "Thank you."

I do appreciate the parades and the flowers and the flags to those who lost their lives in service to us as free citizens. I truly do and also thank those who serve in that way.

I'm just also sensitive to serving those who have served us who still have a pulse, a beating heart, and a history of service.

Selfishly, I also enjoy hearing the occsaional story (they don't even realize the valor they share.) Monday, one of the guys I'm going to call is a survivor of the Battle of the Bulge . . . it will be the umpteenth time I've heard his story and it will be a long phone call, but I look forward to it. Another is a veteran of both WWII and Korea. Another was a POW in Vietnam. All of these guys (in this case) have something to say that should be heard.

Whatever you do on Memorial Day, it should be more than ribs on the grill. Take some time to honor our heros . . . both living and passed.

Happy Memorial Day. If you're here, thank a veteran.

Unc.

Unc, you're not all wet, it's just that Memorial Day was originally conceived to honor those veterans (specifically Civil War vets) who did not come home.

You plans for the day are great and I admire you for it. I believe all of us with the opportunity, will certainly thank those who did come home.