I was amazed to see that FScouters assertion that it was OK to run a troop meeting with only one adult present has gone unchallened.

The Youth Protection rules require two deep leadership during troop meetings, by my understanding.

The only time it's OK to not have two deep adult leadership is when driving in vehicles, when having two or more youth and one adult is acceptable.

If someone wants to dispute that, I'd be glad to be corrected.

Seattle Pioneer

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the general subject of getting adults to support the unit, a number of good methods have been identified, in my experience. While it may not always be required, it's probably most powerful to use those methods together.

1: Have a clear standard and expectation that all parents will be expected to assist the unit in creating and presenting a quality program for the Scouts.

2: Start by asking parents to do easy tasks, especially ones that will get them involved with the program and other adults actively contributing to the program.

3. Use the recommended Scout method of identifying the BEST person to fill a needed position and actively recruiting that person.

4. Frankly, if a family isn't willing to help and has no good reason to excuse than unwillingness, I'd invite them to find another program for their boy. You MUST HAVE a high quality program to attract and keep youth, and that requires pariticipation by parents to create that program.

There may be some parents you can afford to give a "pass" to. But those without a good reason and candidates to be dropped, in my view.

Seattle Pioneer

Like Barry said, the Guide to Safe Scouting says 2-deep leadership is required for trips and outings. It does not say meetings and cars. It also says one-on-one contact is not permitted. 2-deep is always a good idea, but other than trips and outings, not having 2 adults is not a violation of youth protection rules.

I would never cancel a troop meeting at the last moment solely because a second adult was not available.

Some parents might resist helping until they are more comfortable with the other adults in the troop. So it helps to make them welcome, and to have some activities that might be fun for them too. My son's troop just had a whitewater rafting trip, and a couple of the parents who went along have not been that active--I think going along on that event will make them more receptive to requests for specific help.

Also, although you ideally will seek out leaders and not ask for volunteers, one useful technique for getting people to volunteer for smaller jobs is to let them know that you are seeking somebody to fill the bigger jobs. They will volunteer for the smaller jobs to "immunize" themselves from the ones they really don't want to do. I'm really kind of kidding--but it is true that people will volunteer for concrete tasks that they can readily understand.

A good tool is the Unit resource survey...

I gave one to all the parents, immediatly you know if there is interest and who you can count on.

To a certain degree I agree with FScouter...

What do you want the parents to do? I don't want them "Hanging around" being a distraction during a meeting, and I certainly do not want them to tag along on campouts, it typically becomes a family camp and full of distractions.

I have enough adult leaders and plenty of interested parents, the ones that are not interested I do not push. I would rather keep and eye on their kid for an hour and half than baby sit them while the boys are having their meeting.

My expectation of parents is that if they want to get involved they will, using the survey I can see their talents and what kind of committment they are willing to make. The ones that are serious about spending time with their kid will certainly step up, they rest will fill in the blanks when needed... or not.

Jerry

Redfeather - Your thread title "Baby Sitters of America" was quite clever. Word play and such exotic literary tools as metaphor and irony can often go underappreciated. Words have powers beyond their dictionary definitions. Thank you for modeling a bit of thinking and communicating skill beyond the bare bones of verbal information sharing.

Parent Involvement is a tricky problem for many of us - use that same cleverness to get your Parents intrigued about all the good stuff your boys accomplish and experience.

Good Luck.

jd

Taking plenty of no notice of the thread title.

We have in a thread looked at parents at Den Meetings. Back when I served as a Webelos Scout Den Leader, the Den met in my house, in what should be my workroom. It's a big room but not big enough for ten Webelos Scouts a couple of Den Leaders, guest presenters and the Webelos Scout parents.

I understand that parent involvement is a method of Cub Scouting and that Webelos Scouts are still members of the pack, but to be very honest I didn't really want the parents at the meeting, not only due to space. A lot of the meetings were outside in my yard which has room for a small army of parents. But I seen my job as a Webelos Scout Den Leader as preparing these Lads for the big step of becoming Boy Scouts and loosening the apron strings.

Due to problems at the Pack meetings with Scouts who came without an adult, the pack committee did request that all Scouts came with an adult. At times when a adult wasn't able to attend the Pack Meeting a Den Leader would become the adult and be responsible for the conduct of the little fellow who was unaccompanied.

We did use the Nominating Committee to select our leaders and when a parent volunteered to help, the Pack Committee met and discussed the person and what role he or she might take. At times people volunteered to do a specific job, like run the Pine-Wood Derby or be part of the B&G Committee. The Pack Committee rarely if ever turned people away.

When OJ joined Boy Scouts, he made it fairly clear that he didn't want me to join with him. I had been with him all through Cub Scouts. He wanted to experience the joys of Boy Scouting and being independent for himself. He wanted to not have my beady eye watching over him.

I was hurt and maybe a little upset at the time. The Troop he joined had an outstanding Scoutmaster who we knew really well. Her That Must Be Obeyed was a bridesmaid at his wedding. Sad to say he was a self-employed electrician, who found a "Real Job" and after about 18 months with working for OJ, he was unable to continue. The Troop went downhill very fast and OJ decided that he wanted to transfer.

His new Scoutmaster is almost a legend in the Council, a recipient of the Silver Beaver, two time National Jamboree Scoutmaster and Father of 3 Eagle Scouts, all who are now grown men and are all over the USA. The troop always seemed to have more than it's fair share of ASM's. A couple of years back for some unknown reason Troop 160 became the Troop of choice for a herd of cross over Webelos Scouts, if I remember correctly there were 16 or 18 of them. Many came with Parents. Last year at summer camp the troop had approx 28 Scouts and 18 adults in camp. Many of these 18 were the parents who crossed over with their sons. They had bought a shirt, sewn on a few patches and were good to go. They rarely left the Troop camp site and added little to the program and while no one asked me for my opinion I think they only got in the way.

I agree with FScouter about selecting people who want to be trained and want to take the time to understand how this game is played.

I have let it be known that if the troop that OJ is in needs a driver or an adult for two deep leadership. I am ready and willing to help. If they ever need someone to help with Pioneering I am ready and willing.

I spent about 11 years as a Scoutmaster, the most ASM's I ever had was seven. Of these 3 were at every meeting a couple made it when they could and a couple would come and share skills that they were particularly good at. Most Summer camps we had 5 or 6 of these ASM's in attendance, I think because they came to enjoy the camp as much as coming to serve the Scouts. We had a good group and more fun than I think was good for us, we laughed a lot, we teased each other had silliness to no end, but we done everything we could to ensure that the Troop was also having a great time.

Six of the seven were ex-Scouts. Old Fred was a Kings Scout, he was the the most knowledgeable of all of us, but wasn't very good at working with Scouts. He took care of the cooking of the leaders food and did help out with the Scouts at times. He was the only person I ever met who could tie every knot in the Ashly Book of Knots, even learning the new Hunters Bend sometimes called the Rigger's Bend.

Pete, our Troop Quartermaster was the Father of two Scouts, he had worked as a Store-man in the RAF, something he never failed to tell everyone. He was a lot tougher to deal with than I ever was. He was the blue-eyed boy of the Troop Committee due to the fact that he looked after the equipment so well at times I had to remind him that we were working with young Scouts and not the Red Arrows (The Royal Air force Aerobatic Team). Behind a very gruff exterior he had a heart of gold and would spend many happy hours working with the Scouts sorting out their Patrol Equipment.

We were a very close knit group, we shared holidays, we shared our good times and bad times. We met almost every Sunday that weren't camping for a pre-lunch drink. We were and those of us that are still left are still friends. We were very proud of the Troop, we were all close to the Lads in the Troop. We knew that we were part of something that was great and deserved our loyalty.

The parents supported the Troop by allowing their Sons to participate, they helped with fund raising, at times some with special skills would come and share them with the troop. Some joined the Troop Committee.

Most of all they placed in us the Troop Leaders a trust. A trust that we would look after and care for their Son.

Eamonn

Thanks for all the information. I cannot take credit for the word play on BSA. I first heard it around 36, 37 years ago from my dad. He was a scoutmaster at the time and was going through pretty much what we are now.

Different times, same issues.

YIS

Request that one parent per boy must do one job per year. At the end of each year, have a COH/Banquet and recognize each parent and their contribution. Announce each parent's decision on what they will do for the following year. Hand out the following year's calendar and show last year's accomplishments on an edited CD with Scouting music in the background. The CD is copied and presented to every family. About 200 pictures will fit, so make sure that every event and every family is represented, including last year's banquet. The CD can also be shown to the CO's board during the review of your program and during the Charter presentation. The edited CD can be edited again for time restraints for the review and the presentation. Just include the highlights. Potential Scouts and Scouters will be watching.

FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

"Baby Sitters of America" was a common term even in the mid-60's. I heard it a lot at grade school, usually used by other kids towards Scouts.

I agree that the basic issue of parental involvement is equally old. I remember my dad as a Scoutmaster being ticked about the fact it was the same 'old boys network' that went on every activity and the rest of the parents did squat. For various reasons, I was involved in 5 troops as a youth and each had some degree of this.