What Would It Take to Start a Radio Station for a Small Scout Camp?

4 minutes ago, eagle90 said:

I go to camp to get away from music, cell phones, the internet, etc.  Enjoy nature and solitude

Everyone has different reasons for going to camp. 

Like many good concepts, this may or may not be viable.  In today's world of computers and related resources, it could be a viable project.  With imagination it might even be a resource to local scouting showcasing, and surely an introduction to a new subject for youth.  On the other hand, finding the qualified volunteers might be a challenge.  Still, similar things are done around the world it appears if you poke around on the net in the area of World Scouting, and even BSA.  Positive face, and fun, along with  learning radio skills, to include the short wave.  Good luck.

21 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Everyone has different reasons for going to camp. 

Brought back some camp memories...:)

"WHYY’s (PBS) arts and culture reporter Peter Crimmins first became interested in radio in the fourth grade, when he smuggled a contraband crystal-diode radio into the Boy Scout summer camp. Subsequent radio projects were more successful."

https://whyy.org/person/peter-crimmins/page/175/

• Upvote 1
On 3/16/2024 at 9:26 AM, eagle90 said:

I go to camp to get away from music, cell phones, the internet, etc.  Enjoy nature and solitude

The reasons for a radio station would include music for people cooking, working on merit badges, and especially the Radio merit badge. The best part is that because it's a radio station, it obviously isn't related to the Internet or other online devices.

• Upvote 1

It's a neat idea.  If it lights your fire, no reason not to pursue it.

That said, my practical side whispers you'd have little uptake between policies towards electronic use and the fact that in 8 years of leading scouts I have literally never seen one use a radio.  Do it for you, and if a few people get value - huzzah.  But if you're looking for a project to benefit the masses I'd refocus on the Radio merit badge aspect and use this as a means to an end there.

• Upvote 1