National Annual Meeting NAM May 5-9, 2024 Orlanda

"The conference registration fee for the 2024 National Annual Meeting is $825 and includes a box lunch in the exhibit hall on Tuesday and Wednesday this year.  Registration on site will be very limited due to cutoff dates with the hotel.  Onsite registration fee will be $900 and will be limited."

*The cutoff date to register for the National Annual Meeting is Friday, March 29th.

https://nam.scouting.org/

No word if any meetings or sessions will be streamed via youtube.

• Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

3/28/2024: Tomorrow last day to register. No word of online videos for forthcoming meeting.

Looks like he is going to be there, then. He wasn't on the program anywhere, lol. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yknot said:

Looks like he is going to be there, then. He wasn't on the program anywhere, lol. 

Maybe his attendance is one of "a few surprises" he mentioned. :D

I hope Glen Pounder will also attend and speak of problems and progress with YP since he came on board a year ago.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

March, 2024: Some news releases this week that X "has been named to serve on the newly reorganized National Executive Board for Boy Scouts of America."  only

1. The newly reorganized National Executive Board was announced back in Oct 19, 2023  on scoutingnewsroom and reported here

2. These recent news releases are not about new people. I guess it is a new Executive Board in a sense it is smaller but new younger blood?

"The new BSA National Executive Board has been reduced from 72 to 47 members, and includes a mix of experienced board members, newly elected members, as well as eight members nominated by local BSA Councils in order to bring a better balance of historical knowledge and new perspectives. The new National Executive Board also reflects BSA efforts toward diversification, and includes 13% women and 23% racially diverse members, with plans to expand those numbers in the future."

Examples:

Ellie Morrison:

https://thekatynews.com/2024/03/28/morrison-named-to-boy-scouts-of-america-national-executive-board/

Daniel Van Horn:

https://www.elizabethton.com/2024/03/27/van-horn-named-to-boy-scouts-of-america-national-executive-board/

Thear Suzuki:

https://thekatynews.com/2024/03/28/suzuki-named-to-boy-scouts-of-america-national-executive-board/

:huh:

Edited by RememberSchiff
4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Maybe his attendance is one of "a few surprises" he mentioned. :D

I hope Glen Pounder will also attend and speak of problems and progress with YP since he came on board a year ago.

Ha ha! Pounder is listed for one of the sessions somewhere, I can't remember when or where I saw it in some obscure place.

One would think they would be highlighting his presence but maybe we're back to pretending youth protection problems don't exist. 

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, yknot said:

Ha ha! Pounder is listed for one of the sessions somewhere, I can't remember when or where I saw it in some obscure place.

One would think they would be highlighting his presence but maybe we're back to pretending youth protection problems don't exist. 

I would like to know progress towards YP provisions of the settlement plan, which as I understand were specified as follows:

also I like to know more about the meeting with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC)

14 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I would like to know progress towards YP provisions of the settlement plan, which as I understand were specified as follows:

also I like to know more about the meeting with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC)

Agreed. Also on my list are some of the issues that Michael Johnson raised regarding implementing a youth reporting option and adult ID. A lot of units also need YPT guidance on gender issues. Transparency in incident reporting to parents and prospective parents. Dealing with YP issues presented by emerging technology, like covert recording devices and whatever new things are coming down the pike. 

• Upvote 1

It depends on the person I suspect.  There was a time I would have jumped at the opportunity if I could have worked it out.  But, focus changes, and priorities do also.  Likely a great experience if interactions happen that are worthwhile.  I know that the best things I brought back from the jamborees I was able to attend were all NOT patches and such, but the meetings with other Scouters and youth from around the world and the U.S.  But, the pressure schedules of many of the Scouters with whom I would liked to sit down and talk negated real substance, and I have never been able to get responses from the couple of contacts I attempted after it was all put to bed.  Busy people with complicated lives, and if integral to National, not able to have a cracker barrel with someone they barely met and that is not on the same page in some cases.  

The overall experiences there will not be lost.  Similarly, my visits to PTC and on the trails at Philmont will always be valued and hold many good memories.  They did allow some of the interactions I found missing in the Jambo's.  

19 hours ago, curious_scouter said:

I live nearby.  Toyed with the idea of going, until I saw the registration fee.  Is the content really worth that much?  I could send 3 adults to Wood Badge for that.

Content? Hard to know. I have not attended one. From outside the closed doors, I sense it is more like a Blue and Gold - announcements , awards, food - more social than business. From my experience when a company annual meeting is more social than business, it means business continues as usual.

I keep hoping for more transparency and open, thoughtful discussions - that online fireside chat with Mr. Krone with questions sent in from the field would be a good start.  And we have questions.

My $0.02,

• Upvote 1
On 3/9/2024 at 9:36 AM, RememberSchiff said:

"The conference registration fee for the 2024 National Annual Meeting is $825 and includes a box lunch in the exhibit hall on Tuesday and Wednesday this year.  Registration on site will be very limited due to cutoff dates with the hotel.  Onsite registration fee will be $900 and will be limited."

*The cutoff date to register for the National Annual Meeting is Friday, March 29th.

https://nam.scouting.org/

No word if any meetings or sessions will be streamed via youtube.

04/03/2024 Online registration still appears to be active.

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 12:35 PM, RememberSchiff said:

Glen Pounder submitted a short article to ScoutingWire this week reminding adults to be constantly aware of the actions of other adults. I hope he expounds on this and our other YP concerns and feedback at NAM next month.

Link:

https://scoutingwire.org/beyond-criminal-background-checks-making-sure-that-great-guy-really-is/

also on

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/boy-scouts-of-america_beyond-criminal-background-checks-making-activity-7183813959005749248-0pvL

Edited by RememberSchiff

We are in a high military concentration area.  While the Scouts were gathering on the parking lot for our weekly meeting one summer evening, a young man stopped in, saying he was a Eagle Scout in the Navy and wanted to get back to Scouting.  Seemed nice enough.  I tried contacting his home Council (Caddo) SE and never got a response to verify his creds.  I had given him an app and explained that he couldn't participate until the background checks were done and he had council approval.  Never saw him after that.  I will always wonder if we dodged a bullet, or did we miss an opportunity.

• Thanks 1