What Scouter is responsible for registering the Troop and scouts for summer camp?

Since moving on from a Committee Chair who did everything for everyone, we continue to learn who should do what, and how to do it. I THINK it falls to me as Scoutmaster to register for summer camp, but looking to confirm. Is it me? 

57 minutes ago, Maboot38 said:

Since moving on from a Committee Chair who did everything for everyone, we continue to learn who should do what, and how to do it. I THINK it falls to me as Scoutmaster to register for summer camp, but looking to confirm. Is it me? 

It depends...

If you have a small Troop... say 15 Scouts or less, and you have the bandwidth, then maybe.

Our Troop is larger.  This job would be too much... so we have one person tagged to do all the Summer Camp admin support.

- Registration of Troop

- Putting in the Roster

- Cat-herding the MB class sign ups

- Sending out notices

- Collecting the fees from family, coordinating payments to Camp, and recording it all in Scoutbook.

- And swim checks prior to camp...

We have a separate person handling all the medical forms and associated admin...

Scoutmaster works with SPL (and PLC) to develop their program for the week: Troop swim, Troop shoot, hikes, competitions, any other events, etc listed in the Leader Guide...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Like 1

We always did the same as Inquisitive.  This is actually the kind of role that is perfect to delegate to one of the parents.  It’s purely an organizational project, doesn’t involve camping, and doesn’t involve having any particular scout skill or scouting background.  What it does require is someone who can successfully wade through kludgy websites and be on top of deadlines and communications.  And it’s usually not that hard to force somebody that’s not you to step up.  ‘Mr. Former CC who used to do this isn’t here, so if we want to go to summer camp then someone not me has to do this.”  

As SM it’s hard to not have some hand in everything.  So you’re probably going to have to do some handholding the first year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

As SM it’s hard to not have some hand in everything.  So you’re probably going to have to do some handholding the first year.

Yep, delegate, delegate, delegate. If you are doing your job right, you really don't have time for that stuff. It's better to stand back the day of loading the cars for summer camp and let others deal with the chaos of final checks, signatures, and so on. You will get plenty of your own questions.

There is also a real benefit for getting parents involved. They will have more pride and buy-in if they are involved.

You really need to find a good CC. They make or break good troops.

Barry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It depends on the unit. Our unit delegates this task to a parent. It requires somebody who is orderly, keeps up with deadlines, is good at filling out forms, and follows up.

Do you want your scouts to go to summer camp? As SM I am sure you do. A lot of times tasks that aren't being done fall to the Scoutmaster.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

You really need to find a good CC. They make or break good troops.

Our new committee chair is absolutely fantastic! It’s just that she’s new to the job just like I am and we are learning pretty much from scratch.

6 minutes ago, Maboot38 said:

Our new committee chair is absolutely fantastic! It’s just that she’s new to the job just like I am and we are learning pretty much from scratch.

Ah, sounds like you have the right team for a great troop. I also had a great new CC while I was learning. We went from 15 scouts to 100 scouts in five years. It takes a good team willing to change from what doesn't work. Learning is part of the process for growing, and part of the fun.

Barry

• Like 1

The other recommendation is to work with your PLC on what they want to do (including what type of summer camp, what activities, etc).  You can have your PLC spend time with the Scouts to understand their feedback on what they want to do over the summer - coaching and mentoring the PLC as the SM on options on camps and activities.  Many camps will provide the Scouts overviews.

Once you have what the Scouts would like to do, where they would like to go, then it’s time to go to the Committee for help on coordinating (registration, tracking payments, etc, are areas recommended to delegate to a Committee member or parent).  The Committee is there to support the Troop program.

• Like 1