Leaked? Cub Scout requirements

I came across a posted xlsx document with what is purported to be the new CS program.  Looking through it, I came across this extremely fun sounding requirement in several of the ranks: Review your BSA Annual Health and Medical record with your parent or guardian.  Discuss your ability to participate in pack and den activities.

Now if that doesn't sound like an amazingly fun time for a 3rd grader, I don't know what does.  

The Webelos have this required gem:

Learn  about majority and plurality types of voting.  
Speak with someone who is elected to their position.  Discover the type of voting that was used for to elect them and why.  
Choose a federal law and create a timeline of the history of the law.  Include the involvement of the 3 branches of government. 

Participate in a service project.

The AOLs have this requirement

Participate in a service project for a minimum of 2 hours or multiple service projects for a total of 2 hours.

Anyone been able to get a 5th grader to labor for 2 hours?  

I'm not sure who dreamed these up, but they lost sight of the fun aspect of Cub Scouts.  We already have had kids quit because of the school-replication factor of things like discussions in the current Tiger Bites.  I'm pretty sure the parents who couldn't figure out how to click on the Awards link in Scoutbook are going to be able to have a 5th grade-level discussion on voting types or seeking out elected officials.  With no choices in how to accomplish a given requirement, I think the program will either get pencil whipped or stall.  I wouldn't have a clue on how to find an elected official on a military base in Germany.  

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

Only on Minecraft or Fortnite 😜

9 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

but they lost sight of the fun aspect of Cub Scouts.

With "requirements" like those, I think they lost sight of the fun aspect of anything and everything.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
5 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

I wouldn't have a clue on how to find an elected official on a military base in Germany.  

Is there a PTA that works with the DoDDS there?  Maybe they elect somebody...  

Or could they talk with the SPL of the Scout Troop?  It does say "someone who is elected"

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Armymutt said:

Participate in a service project.

The AOLs have this requirement

Participate in a service project for a minimum of 2 hours or multiple service projects for a total of 2 hours.

Yes. Our Pack participates in Scouting for Food in the spring: One hour to distribute door tags one weekend. One hour to pick up food next weekend. We have devoted entire Pack meetings to creating care packages.  That's one hour each. We have organized park clean-ups, then play a game in the clean park afterwards. Our charter org. runs a food panty and is always looking for help. They have Cubs bag groceries and gopher supplies from the shed. Our community holds events that has scouts volunteer: ie. flag ceremonies, American Legion, etc. We offer plenty of opportunity for service for our scouts. I guess our Pack is different.

10 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Is there a PTA that works with the DoDDS there?  Maybe they elect somebody...  

Or could they talk with the SPL of the Scout Troop?  It does say "someone who is elected"

The SPL thing was what I thought of last night.  Of course, how many SPLs know the method by which they were elected?  Even the law research one seems a bit much for Cub Scouts and parents who can't figure out Scoutbook.  

1 minute ago, Armymutt said:

The SPL thing was what I thought of last night.  Of course, how many SPLs know the method by which they were elected?  Even the law research one seems a bit much for Cub Scouts and parents who can't figure out Scoutbook.  

Totally agree...

These concepts seem a little inappropriate for the age groups... 

7 minutes ago, DannyG said:

Yes. Our Pack participates in Scouting for Food in the spring: One hour to distribute door tags one weekend. One hour to pick up food next weekend. We have devoted entire Pack meetings to creating care packages.  That's one hour each. We have organized park clean-ups, then play a game in the clean park afterwards. Our charter org. runs a food panty and is always looking for help. They have Cubs bag groceries and gopher supplies from the shed. Our community holds events that has scouts volunteer: ie. flag ceremonies, American Legion, etc. We offer plenty of opportunity for service for our scouts. I guess our Pack is different.

We don't have enough parents interested in doing stuff like that.  We can't get anyone to volunteer to run the PWD or B&G.  It's been the same two families organizing everything for the past three years.  Scouting For Food?  That would require dedicating two weekends to Scouting in a row.  That's too much for most of them.

44 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

We don't have enough parents interested in doing stuff like that.  We can't get anyone to volunteer to run the PWD or B&G.  It's been the same two families organizing everything for the past three years.  Scouting For Food?  That would require dedicating two weekends to Scouting in a row.  That's too much for most of them.

Sorry to hear that... It does require shared leadership. Cubmaster to organize the Pack meeting activity. Another parent to coordinate Scouting for Food. Another parent to coordinate a community event., etc... We put ourselves in position to provide lots of opportunity, so each family only has to commit to one or two.