Roger Krone new BSA President and CEO succeeds Roger Mosby

1 minute ago, skeptic said:

Rather than sell it, rework the concept so that it is open broadly to youth other than Scouts, but also keeps the Scouting connection.  It very well could bridge the BSA with the larger society in a positive way, and also stop the financial drain.  We need to "again" be an integral part of society, rather than some kind of paria or afterthought.  But the focus needs to revert strongly to the actual youth, and ways to push the foundational concepts to the larger society.  What made the BSA so successful in its peak acceptance?  It was the image that these young people, not the adults, were living to a real code of honor and were NOT self centered.  Society is begging for that concept to be part of the larger culture.  There are still examples of this scattered about, but the lack of putting it before the public in a meaningful way is a huge mistake.  Letting the public know that Scouting is a positive influence and a major contributor to the better community is not bragging.  People need to know that BSA representatives, the youth, contribute to food drives regularly, that in some areas they rebuild major camps and trails used by the broader public, that they contribute to civic ceremonies honoring veterans and so on.  Our local scouts will be at the Government Center for the County on Veterans day, helping as asked with setup and seating and probably some element of the flag presentations.  Scouting for Food is still a major contributor to food pantries, but also done by units throughout the year.  Some do Christmas/holiday gift drives.  One unit has been supplementing the Bell Ringers for a number of years in connection with their CO.  Scouts are always part of local beach and park cleanup.  It goes on and on, yet few in the community really "know'; this.  That may be the biggest redirect.  But what would I know?

Well I think in general BSA marketing is non-existent and I would agree, we do many things and people do not know this.

As an aside, if our MAIN go to marketing message is your youth will be safe with the organization, that is probably not the ONLY and best message we we need to present.  If that is all we sell, then families will logically determine they can be safer NOT in scouting.  In no way wanting to lessen the YPT focus, but that cannot be our reason for being.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO Scouting's challenges have been that the program and emphasis is pulled in many directions by many different constituencies.  Starting really in the 70's the trail has been varied: we are

So far in 2024, there has been no news regarding our federal Charter-required Report to the Nation though I heard of some Reports to State which BSA National encourages. No word yet of any live f

Roger Krone is showing far more engagement in a few months than Mosby did in years.   No complaints so far!  That said, BSA is in a crisis.  Hopefully he takes aggressive action to course correct.

Posted Images

Scouts for SDGs in the form of Messengers of Peace projects seem like a great thing to point out the existence of to wider society. It creates a forward-looking context for various projects we do, highlighting that we are Creating a Better World. That's exactly what a lot of Gen Z wants to do, as I understand it.

Veterans Day, posted on on X and Instagram by Roger Krone, President & CEO of the BSA. 

KroneVeteransDayMessage.jpg.691d65a31a9d2c95dd735d96f9d97aab.jpg

On Instagram boyscoutsofamerica

To: Our Veterans –
On behalf of the entire Scouting movement, we salute you, our heroes and defenders of freedom. Your selfless dedication and unwavering courage inspire us to embody the values of duty, honor, and service.

On this Veterans Day, youth, leaders and families stand together with gratitude, recognizing the sacrifices you've made and the challenges you've faced.

Across the nation and the world there are more than 183,000 youth and leaders in Scouting units chartered to military and veterans’ organizations. We salute each of those organizations as they deliver the fun and character-building adventure of Scouting.

Thank you for your service, sacrifice, and your enduring legacy. And thank you for continuing to serve our nation through Scouting.

Yours in Scouting,
Roger Krone
President & CEO
Boy Scouts of America

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 4:35 PM, Eagle1993 said:

Why, why, why do we hire retired leaders?

My guess this is more about getting ties into industry for donations than an leader who really wants to learn how scouting is done today, what parents/society/youth need and making necessary changes.

My guess is that we can't afford current cutting edge leaders.

On 11/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, Eagle1993 said:

Why, why, why do we hire retired leaders?

My guess this is more about getting ties into industry for donations than an leader who really wants to learn how scouting is done today, what parents/society/youth need and making necessary changes.

I would agree.  Certainly, a nice guy no doubt, but he is retired and 67.  Now that would definitely qualify him to run for President of the United States, but why not someone in their prime?  An energetic, new vision for the organization, someone who can get out and represent the BSA out of bankruptcy. 

As a businessperson, when I see a retired individual take over a company coming out of bankruptcy, I see someone who is either a caretaker for the next "real" leader OR someone who will be shepherding the company through its sale and breakup.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

As a businessperson, when I see a retired individual take over a company coming out of bankruptcy, I see someone who is either a caretaker for the next "real" leader OR someone who will be shepherding the company through its sale and breakup.

Or stand to gain financially either way. Which in this case he has a) no need for, or b) there isn't anything in the till to gain. I hope he does have an abundance of energy, because what the org needs now more than ever is for his face to be in every press venue possible to sell the org. I'm personally perfectly fine if I never hear from the CSA as a volunteer, so long as I can at least see he (or she) are handling the PR role to help keep youth engaged. 

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

They paid Mosby over $500K per year (full C&B).

The SE (sorry he insists on being called CEO) for Atlanta Area Council makes waaay more than that.  Thus no FOS for me.

• Thanks 1
On 11/29/2023 at 6:52 PM, Eagle1993 said:

They paid Mosby over $500K per year (full C&B).

When a person accumulates that much influence, they can probably earn that much through a combination of teaching, consulting, and board service without ever accepting much responsibility again. I give him credit for pursuing a meaningful second act.

Dec 12, 2023 Forbes brief interview:

Roger Krone’s Vision: Transforming Boy Scouts Of America Through Technology And Innovation

https://www.forbes.com/sites/heatherwishartsmith/2023/12/12/roger-krones-vision-transforming-boy-scouts-of-america-through-technology-and-innovation/?sh=123aac942ca3

Speaking of technology, I'm still waiting for that two-way fireside chat with unit volunteers in the field.

Edited by RememberSchiff
clarify us
3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Dec 12, 2023 Forbes brief interview:

Roger Krone’s Vision: Transforming Boy Scouts Of America Through Technology And Innovation

https://www.forbes.com/sites/heatherwishartsmith/2023/12/12/roger-krones-vision-transforming-boy-scouts-of-america-through-technology-and-innovation/?sh=123aac942ca3

Speaking of technology, I'm still waiting for that two-way fireside chat with unit volunteers in the field.

Well, we see where his focus is 

Krone highlights the importance of data management, proposing the migration of member information to a cloud-based data lake and mining that information (no doubt to monetize) to connect with BSA alumni who may not have been contacted in decades. With nearly 100 million alumni, the organization aims to use technology for targeted communication, reconnecting with former Scouts, and fostering philanthropic engagements. “Technology will help us find those people, communicate with them, update them on what’s going on in Scouting and connect them with philanthropic interests and fundraising,(So focused on money had to say it twice) Krone said. Data analytics will be employed to gain valuable insights into membership trends, enabling more effective and targeted programming across different councils. (no doubt to monetize)

As usual, main focus will be raising money.  No mention in the article about growing the program and expanding the membership.

• Sad 1