What was your favorate scouting position????

Stealing the idea from another thread, what job or position was your favorite, both as an adult and youth.

I loved being ASPL because in my troop the ASPL was the "patrol leader" of the leadership corps. As an adult, I will always remember being a Tiger Cub Den Leader as my favorate since it was here that I introduced my son to scouting.

My favorate position as a youth was Summer Camp SPL. I had that position for 3 summers. I was so much fun leading a group of great young scouters. Were some of the best times of my life. I'm sill good friends with alot of them till today. And a few of us are sill in Scouting. As for adult position I like my current position of Associate Lodge Adviser. I get to work with a great bunch of youth and get to teach them what I know about the OA and help them reach there goals as Lodge Officers.

Aloha,

Ken

As an adult, I really enjoyed Cubmaster, especially since it was a big challenge to turn a struggling pack around. But I enjoy the Scoutmaster role the best. It puts you so much closer to the boys and you really see the growth in them over time.

As a youth - like maddaog, I think I enjoyed being SPL the most, especially at Summer Camp. But I also remember having lots of fun as a Patrol Leader and as I got older, as a JASM. Heck, they were all great!

As a temporary position, crew leader for a Philmont crew was the best, by far.

I have to say Cubmaster. Cub-age boys are universally enthusiastic, squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of life, think the uniform is cool, don't think they know it all, love selling popcorn and are little/cute enough to do it well, and will sing without duress. The program is cut & dried, so once my DLs were trained and on the same page, they ran on autopilot. I was expected to be a carefree goof at pack meetings, which was a perfect fit with my natural persona. In one of my packs, I had an absolutely saintly Assistant Cubmaster who, with her equally saintly husband, were the best tag-team scrounges I've ever known, and I've known lots of military supply guys. Parental politics nearly non-existent. Ahhh, those were the salad days...

KS

Have say that I will be glad when my term as District Chairman is over. I always seem to be fighting with someone.

I really enjoyed Cubmaster for much the same reasons as KS.

I enjoyed being Training Chair. and Director for Wood Badge. But nothing but nothing beats Scoutmaster. Over the more than ten years I really got to know the Lads in the troop and of course they got to know me. Seeing them join as little Chaps and grow into big Lads who were almost men, was a great honor.

Eamonn.

Without a doubt it is SM. I enjoy being with the boys and seeing them grow and mature over the years we have them. They are always a surprise, keeps you on your feet, and keeps you young!

One of the most rewarding positions was SM of a Jamboree troop in 1997. Not only the Jambo atmosphere, but seeing a group of 36 relative strangers come together as a unit was outstanding

It is difficult to pick one from either my youth or my adulthood.

I was elected permanent Patrol Leader of my Philmont patrol. It was an award/position with an emotional message for me. I occasionally see some of the group and there is instant recall and sharing of the few days we spent in God's country together, which now is 40 years past.

As far as my adult Scouting experiences, I choose Scoutmaster. I spent several years watching and working with a group of Scouts that grew up in the program with me along with a large group of active parents. I have shared a few of the stories about them here in this forum. I now have several large files of other stories that seem to flow out of my hands from reflections of a unique and wonderful experience.

FB

I know this is a cheap and easy one, but I am surprised no one has mentioned it yet, the scouting position I loved more than any other was that of proud papa,standing behind my Eagle Scout son at his Eagle Court, that was my favorite scouting position.

As far as the list goes? Challenging the patrols in the troop to come in first second or third in a District Camporee?klondike Competition and if they did the patrol leader could throw a pie (of my choosing) in my face. Well, one patrol came in third twice in a year so I told them they had to come in first or second if they wanted to pie me. The next Fall Camporee they came in first.

DOnt tell the scouts I love getting hit by a pie as muchas they like doing/seeing it happen

"What was your favorite scouting position?"

Sleeping on my lounge chair at a campout and/or reading a good book!

See, now that would have been the definitive stance if you would have added

...Comfortable in the knowledge the scouts were trained to handle any contingency...(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)