There is no question that I have made a million faux pas in communication through out my life.

Is it normal that resident members give a well intended new member, seeking advice on a challenging situation be given a brutal trial by fire? I am almost 53yo, have been on the web for decades. Believe it or not, my 1st computer used a tape cassette as a hard drive! This is the most hostile place on the web that I have ever experienced, by far. The anger that I am being given, the "Negative Reputation" marks, the angry words assuming my incompetence is unending. Can anyone either make me, a dad new to Scouting, feel welcome, stick up for me, or tell me how to delete my account?? This is the most hostile place that I have ever been on in the web EVER. I deeply regret ever signing-up here.

I totally understand why this will never be allowed to show on the (public) boards. This is something y'all need to address. I want either to have these issues addressed or I want to know how to delete my account. My guess is that it would be easier for you to delete me than to actually make things better. Honor yourselves then by allowing me to remain and address these problems. I am only being so bold because you will not allow these post & comments to be seen. 

I believe the series of downvotes you received had more to do with disagreement, and your response to the replies. In general this forum is quite welcome to new folks and downvotes are relatively rare. 

I went back and reread your original post and can see why others responded he way they did. Perhaps it was another communication faux pas. 

I am sorry you feel that the responses were brutal and perceived them as hostile. 

I am glad that your issue was resolved to your satisfaction. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

If I may offer a kind suggestion:

For your own mental health, please stop posting.

P.S.  As you also find this forum to be distressing, I have gone back and removed my downvote.

Be well.

That is actually great advice.

@Brannigan, this is all on the open Internet. Both threads you've started are visible publicly, because they're not in the few restricted forums. Most of scouter.com is visible to everyone and anyone.

You can verify this yourself by logging out and then going to scouter.com. Right now, I see your reply above highlighted next to the New to the Forum? forum.

Sorry you felt so attacked. I didn't post in your first thread, but wish you well and am glad that you got the help from your council that you hoped for. I'm not new to scouting, but I'm new to BSA, and it's nice to hear a story about a council stepping in to remove someone who's just mean and destructive to the organization but not a criminal.

May you find happiness and the root of happiness.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 2:08 PM, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

@Brannigan, this is all on the open Internet. Both threads you've started are visible publicly, because they're not in the few restricted forums. Most of scouter.com is visible to everyone and anyone.

You can verify this yourself by logging out and then going to scouter.com. Right now, I see your reply above highlighted next to the New to the Forum? forum.

Sorry you felt so attacked. I didn't post in your first thread, but wish you well and am glad that you got the help from your council that you hoped for. I'm not new to scouting, but I'm new to BSA, and it's nice to hear a story about a council stepping in to remove someone who's just mean and destructive to the organization but not a criminal.

May you find happiness and the root of happiness.

Thank you! That was one of the only nice things said to me on this truly hostile site. Once I can delete my acct. though, I am gone.