I Don't Know What I Did Wrong

Committee ganged up on me in person at this week's Committee Meeting.

I found out our previous CO, a Methodist Church didn't want the Pack playing on the preschool playground any more because they were tearing stuff up AND a neighbor reported everything Scouts were there they were destructive.  I thought it best the Troop stay off as well since they have no business on preschool playground and we just needed to take step to avoid issues with the Church.  I did make the decision myself and reported it to them.  They apparently think I was wrong.  After a popcorn kickoff meeting I came back and announced to the Troop I was going to enter Scouts into Trails End so they can use the app to sell.  We had discussed signing up for popcorn in Committee meeting and there were no objections.  After I said invites to TE would be coming they came unglued over that too.  ONLY two things they had in thier mob to jump me over.  Almost on hour in Committee yelling at me over that.  I'm not CC anymore, but I really don't know what I did to receive that reaction.

19 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I'm not CC anymore, but I really don't know what I did to receive that reaction.

It's not you, it's them. You're asking the wrong question. The question is what specific confusion about not just scouting, but how you build a good society that they have going on.

But that's more of a philosophical question, because practically speaking you probably can't help them remove whatever is obscuring clear seeing, especially not at this point.

I'm from a country that has produced a nobleman artist whose most (in)famous lithography is called "Desecrate the flag". Apparently even our military is loosey-goosey in the authoritarianism department. So when I say this, it's definitely not an expectation of that scouts be ROTC or that I think the Galactic Empire is a great idea: order is essential for a good society. Including but not limited to scouting.

You can't have groups of young people destroying property and/or assault (maybe, maybe not?) willy-nilly and expect a good civil society. They can have wild hair and safety pins in their noses and whatever. They can be rude, they can be disrespectful, they can desecrate the flag. (Not while also being good scouts, of course, but just looking at the bare bottom level of strong civil society, and they're not free from the consequences of other people's reactions to doing those things.) But you absolutely can't have violence become the tool of order. Rule of law is essential.

• Thanks 1