March 2024 the unit renewal changes will be implemented

I am getting back into admin stuff after vacations. In my.scouting, there is an update for the new non-prorated fees.

This odd comment was in there "Charter renewal will remain the same through the December 2023 recharter cycle and then, in March 2024 the unit renewal changes will be implemented."

Any clue what that means?

Is it me or are they making this up as they go along?

11 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Is it me or are they making this up as they go along?

I believe they are making it up as they go along. I had a bunch of questions regarding the new registration process, and the pros could not answer them except to say "Keep doing what you do now."

To quote C3-P0,

72613129.jpg

38 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I believe they are making it up as they go along. I had a bunch of questions regarding the new registration process, and the pros could not answer them except to say "Keep doing what you do now."

To quote C3-P0,

72613129.jpg

I find your lack of faith... disturbing. 😛 

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

This odd comment was in there "Charter renewal will remain the same through the December 2023 recharter cycle and then, in March 2024 the unit renewal changes will be implemented."

From the discussions I had with our Council folks, I gathered the following (based on various professionals interpreting Nationals message but "not really knowing yet..."):

- Anyone currently registered in any unit position will recharter the same way as always done. You pay your National dues, your Council programming fees and your unit recharter fees at the time of recharter. Any of these participants will have their future renewal date the same as the 2023 recharter date.

- Anyone registering with BSA as a new member POST 8/1/2023 will have their future renewal date be the date of registration.

- National dues, and in our Council' case, annual programming fees going forward will now be collected directly through the national BSA process on a rolling 12mts basis and no longer at the time of rechartering the unit. Means that if you are an existing member pre 8/1/2023 your rolling 12mts renewal date will be most likely 12/1/202x going forward if your previous recharter month was December. If you first registered say September 1, 2023 your next renewal date will be September 1, 2024.

Going forward, all payments will be collected directly from each registered member individually be some notification process coming from BSA and I was told will be similar to the currently sent out YPT expiration reminders. Your unit leadership will be copied on each notification to "actively engage in the individual membership renewal...". The only thing that the unit will pay directly will be the annual unit recharter fee.

Asking our Council professionals about how units will be notified when someone doesn't renew, grace periods for renewals, stuff like that, I don't think anyone has a clue on how this all works. Guess we're going to be in for the ride for the next 18months and as usual see how it plays out and how much effort on unit side it will be having to track every program participant individually now and having having to tell Johnny Scout on Saturday morning that, no he cannot attend the weekend outing because his parents forgot to renew his membership last month...

• Upvote 1

@dk516 Great synopsis. It is very consistent with what I have heard / gathered. Based on your notes, in December, we will recharter and those who rechartered before will be due at that time. Got it. 

The odd part was the "March 2024 Unit Renewal Changes". What does that mean? What changes beyond the rolling payments? 

6 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

The odd part was the "March 2024 Unit Renewal Changes". What does that mean? What changes beyond the rolling payments? 

I don't think it will really mean anything from what I gathered. It's a difference in terminology I think it is what it comes down to. Unit recharter for the units is December if that is your month of the year when your Council does recharters. However, even though Council makes you being due on December 1, their Council recharter, and last deadline for them to process individual units, is actually March of the following calendar year. Therefore, it will really only affect Councils starting March 2024 but because of the unit deadlines it will affect us in December 2023 already.

• 7 months later...
On 3/17/2024 at 1:09 PM, RememberSchiff said:

Found this Webinar BSA Renewal System Overview. Q&A starts at 33:00

Thanks for this, @RememberSchiffinteresting to watch, and hopefully there will be some more guidance coming out soon for this. Sent a link to my CM to watch, too.

• Thanks 1