We do a police line to pick up trash but we never threaten anyone. We've never needed to. The worst threat is that the spl walks behind the line and if any garbage is missed then they start over, up to a few times (and that number is unknown to the scouts.)

As for punishment on campouts it goes as follows: the scouts try to deal with the problem scout (that takes care of most of it). Next, the spl will tell the SM that a scout is not following the scout law and a discussion ensues about what to do. If the spl says take the trouble maker home then that's what we do. The funny thing is the scouts see this and they all decide to figure out how to solve the problem. We've never actually driven anyone home. Well, except for the scout smoking weed on a campout but that's another story.

As for the safety of the scouts, don't be a martyr. What you can do is tell the other parents what you saw and that you're leaving the troop. Let them decide what's right for their kids. Some of them may want to join you in whatever activity you find. Who knows, they may want to start a troop.

Best of luck. I really hope you can find a better activity for your son. Whether it's scouts or something else, it doesn't matter.

• Upvote 2

CSDC:   Scout Skills pavilion.  On the day we do "Ecology"  , I've had a fellow from the county come out and talk about recycling, etc. Then, I put the Cubs at the corners of the Pavilion and tell them to walk out 100 big steps turn around and walk back to the Pavilion, and PICK UP EVERYTHING THAT GOD DIDN"T PUT THERE>   We always collect a very respectable pile of trash, even in the County Park that is swept clean by "professionals"....   Six periods, I send the Cubs out in different directions and they LOVE the challenge.  And they go out the rest of the day charged up for putting the plastic bottle in the bin, rather than the trash barrel.  

My hope is the ide sticks with them, caring for the creation....

5GT, I feel your pain , but somehow the Scouts have to find out that "the work is done by whoever shows up".  That lesson is best learned early an by REWARD rather than PUNISHMENT.   Reward?   Personal "attaboys" and pleasing the mom and dad....And will they be that someone?  

On 8/5/2023 at 6:17 AM, 5thGenTexan said:

I want to ask here.  Is demanding Scouts do one thing OR do push-ups considered corporal punishment

It is, no question in my mind.  Totally inappropriate.

I attended all the troops campouts for all my sons' scouting years.

I'd buy a Leatherman Micra (handy little tool-my favorite) for about every third campout.

On Sunday morning before the police line walk-through camp looking for trash (and teaching the importance of being responsible to leave a campsite in better condition that one found it) I'd place the Micra where some scout in the police line would be likely to find it.  Usually toward one end of the line and usually close to where the line would start.

A scout would find it-"Lucky you."  "Good job-eagle eye."

"Keep an eye out scouts, you might find something like this...we've got a ways to go."

Cost me about $6 a campout extra. Priceless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

And Scouts-children-are birds.

Once taught, they "fly away."

Were the lessons learned? Did the effort to teach pay out?  Has it impressed them?  Was all the effort teaching a waste of time?

And, critically, "Will they pass that lesson learned to others?"

Fortunate is the mentor who sees confirmation of the impact of their efforts..

• Upvote 1

We would always do what amounted to a "FOD" walkdown...or "police up the area" to make sure we were "leaving no trace"...we would always find a bit of paper or a gum wrapper or something.  It was NOT punishment, or hazing, and there were no consequences.  It was just a part of camping and everyone understood that.  If an adult found something, it was pointed out...no yelling or bullying.