2025 National Jamboree now scheduled July 22-31, 2026

A friend of staff mentioned coming back in 2 years. Is that consensus? NOAC was 2022 and will be 2024 (Colorado). The world is 2023 and already announced for 2027 (Poland). 

The BSA needs use of the Summit to offset its fixed costs at a minimum. So, 2025 is very likely? I guess the other option would be 2026. That would push NOAC to 2027, overlapping with world and not help the already anemic OA. 

Thoughts? Anyone heard any good intel from a little birdie? 

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • 6 months later...
  • RememberSchiff changed the title to 2025 National Jamboree now scheduled July 22-31, 2026
On 7/28/2023 at 9:11 PM, mrjohns2 said:

The BSA needs use of the Summit to offset its fixed costs at a minimum. So, 2025 is very likely? I guess the other option would be 2026. That would push NOAC to 2027, overlapping with world and not help the already anemic OA. 

That is so true.  The BSA spent waaaay to much money on the Disneyworld of Scouting and now that is a pile of debt and costs.  Not sure what the long-term solution may be but casting that site off during bankruptcy would have been a bold move.

With only 15K or so going to last Jamboree, the logistics of needing a larger than life site may be a requirement of the past.  Maybe  revisit the 1973 plan and have an East and a West Jamboree to make it easier to attend and reduce the numbers are each site.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

With only 15K or so going to last Jamboree, the logistics of needing a larger than life site may be a requirement of the past. 

To sum up the last jamboree in a word? Sucked. I visited 3 days. I had been to 2 past jamborees, one as a youth and one as staff. My 2 daughters, niece, and BIL were with the contingent. It sucked. Many parts of the “Disneyland of Scouting” were just not operational. No arena shows. Sucked. 

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

To sum up the last jamboree in a word? Sucked. I visited 3 days. I had been to 2 past jamborees, one as a youth and one as staff. My 2 daughters, niece, and BIL were with the contingent. It sucked. Many parts of the “Disneyland of Scouting” were just not operational. No arena shows. Sucked. 

The consequences of a massive shrinking BSA.  In addition, the practice of changing volunteers who staff is not a great practice. One of the ASMs in my troop had a lead role in past Jambos.  He spent over $5000 out of own pocket to volunteer (flights to Dallas, food, etc.) along with hundreds of hours just in prep.  He couldn't justify keeping up that level of commitment.  

That said, several of my Eagle scouts said Jambo (not last year's) was by far the best experience you can get in scouting.  These are youth that also went to Philmont and. BWCA.  Why?  They both explained that anyone can go on a high adventure trip, but the experience of Jambo is unique and is not duplicated.

I've never been, but based on feedback from others who attended in better years, I hope they can return it back to the event it once was.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Were all of the rides, slides, walls, attractions ever fully opened?  Even in the big pre-covid ones in 2013 and 2017 weren't some areas not fully opened due to staffing challenges?

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Were all of the rides, slides, walls, attractions ever fully opened?  Even in the big pre-covid ones in 2013 and 2017 weren't some areas not fully opened due to staffing challenges?

Wasn't that because they placed restrictions on who could work, and then later rescinded those restriction, to late for many prior Staffers who were rejected to make arrangements to staff?

3 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

No, they weren’t. The bigger climbing area wasn’t open, some zip lines weren’t, and the tree top canopy tour were not opened. Very sad. The other Jamborees were great. This one? Meh!