We recently had a parent who's YPT was not showing up in troop records. Apparently he had three member numbers, one was associated with the troop, one was his old cub unit, and one was from when he was a youth.  We got them all merged and the issue is sorted out but it got me thinking... How far back do the Scouts BSA member numbers go? For example, might my old member number from the 1980s be in the computer system? If so, is there any value in mreging it with my account?

The numbers suck and need to be fixed. If I was a BSA IT manager, I’d see it as key. 

They don’t carry over between councils. That sucks. I was able to look myself up under Eagle Scouts and found my old number from my old council. It hadn’t been used since about 1996. It has both my eagle and my more recent life time NESA tied to it. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

My thoughts.

1. I was promised back in 1998 that SCOUTNET 2000 would change this situation and everything would transfer as you move from council to council. To quote Vezzini...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/67/d4/9f/67d49fb880af3eac5e38450b1740c14a.jpg

2. If there is a way to merge numbers, can someone please share the directions? I have at least 5, possibly 6 if national issues their employees ID numbers,  and I would love to merge them all..

3. I know they go back as far as the 1990s. But again the numbers are council specific. So some council may not have used them. My understanding is a national database accessible to all councils didn't come out until 1998, and it was phased in. Some council got access to it in June, others November. And trust me it was a mess.

5 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

If there is a way to merge numbers, can someone please share the directions? I have at least 5, possibly 6 if national issues their employees ID numbers,  and I would love to merge them all..

Not merge, but manage. They used to allow merge. I assume merge lead to complicated auditing situations that they didn't set the software up for. 

Go to my.scouting and choose manage member ID. Look up the other "yous" and add them. Set your current id as primary. 

5 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

everything would transfer as you move from council to council

For Scouts, that works decently well with Scoutbook. For adults, training will "sync" between ID's. You may have to wait with an old id as primary for 24 hours, then switch and wait another 24. It is getting better. The issue is that the number changes between councils and it is so so easy to have more than one. 

21 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Do you have it? Did you earn eagle at the time it would have been in use?

Nothing is around from scouts from my youth. I did not earn Eagle. I earned Arrow of Light in Cubs and was 1st class in Boy Scouts. 

On 7/6/2023 at 10:52 AM, mrjohns2 said:

Looking me up in the eagle database was the only way I could find mine. 

At least you are in the Eagle database. One of my long time Scouters, whom I have seen his original certificate, medal, and photos, is not listed.

I have my ID# from when I was a Youth.  Only because I found an old ID card.  It was before online record keeping, and since the Council Office couldnt find it, I am guessing all the paper records associated with my number were just purged.  You know... they round filed it all.

23 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I have my ID# from when I was a Youth.  Only because I found an old ID card.  It was before online record keeping, and since the Council Office couldnt find it, I am guessing all the paper records associated with my number were just purged.  You know... they round filed it all.

That gives me pause and wonders if my adult ID# matches my youth #. I should go look through my box and see if I have an old membership card.