Adult uniform minimalism philosophy

On my right pocket I wear more excess than I would prefer but the council I'm in tends to drown out those that don't wear Coup Beads (Mic O Say and Order of the Arrow).  I used to wear my dongle with Vigil pin but I had way too many people see my uniform and ask why I wasn't in OA (i had a lodge flap as well as the dongle) So I started wearing the mini-sash and that got at least a few realizing I'm a fellow member.

I still get some that dont see Coup Beads and think I'm not in but at least some see the "mini-sash" and now recognize I'm a member.  I would prefer to wear just my original "dongle" and pin though.

I started wearing my Firecrafter Patch as around here any adult leaders not in Mic-O-Say are treated (not always purposely) as somewhat Junior and not as "in".  I was the first in about 50 years out of the defunct Wabash Valley Council to earn and join Firecrafter and in reflection have grown to appreciate its place in the Crossroads of America Council so I wear it with some pride now, but also to feel like I'm not as much a "Junior" around here with my 20 years in Scouting but minus any Coups.

I've had a few now recognize that I have a Vigil mini-sash "but where are your Coups" and will be resigning to the fact that I will need to build my Coup Cords when I go to Webelos Camp this summer, but I will switch back to my OA Dongle at that point to bring some conformance back to the Uniform Guide.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One key difference between BSA and virtually any other youth program that heavily utilizes volunteers is that the BSA tries to keep theirs even once the volunteer's children are no longer involved.  A

Regarding Council patches, I prefer a return to community strips. Maybe using name tape (label tape), sewn on or velcro?

Life should be a rainbow.  A wide spectrum of variety that motivates each individual.  In 25 years plus, I have worked from the den level all the way up to National committee.  What I like to do

Posted Images