Badge residue under removed patches... Tricks to clean it?

My son just crossed over and we're debadging his uniform shirt that still fits perfectly well. Don't want to buy a new one if I can help it.

But the removed badges left some bits of a glue-like residue on the shirt. All badges were sewn on, no badge magic. The residue looks like it's just from the badge backing.

Is there any trick to removing this stuff. Or can it even be removed at all?

Are these badges you sewed on, or are they the ones that were done by the Scout Shop when you bought the shirt?

After removing the world crest that was on a shirt when I bought it I found that our Scout Shop used a spray adhesive to hold it in place when the sewed it on.  It left a light circle of reside which I removed with Goof Off and a toothbrush.  You could also try acetone, although I would test it on the bottom of the shirt tail first.

14 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

Are these badges you sewed on, or are they the ones that were done by the Scout Shop when you bought the shirt?

After removing the world crest that was on a shirt when I bought it I found that our Scout Shop used a spray adhesive to hold it in place when the sewed it on.  It left a light circle of reside which I removed with Goof Off and a toothbrush.  You could also try acetone, although I would test it on the bottom of the shirt tail first.

They were badges that I sewed on, so off the shelf from the scout shop and hand-sewn on myself. No adhesive added.

I might try goof off first. Thanks for the idea.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

I have had this happen. It stinks. I haven’t tried to remove it, just cover it up with the next patch. 

It's in 2 places on my son's shirt, one will be covered by rank patches (it's where his Webelos rank badge was).

The other spot is where the Pack number was. He's going from a 3-digit Pack number to a single-digit Troop number, so it shows.

I'll try to get it out if possible, but he's already a year into this shirt and the way he's growing, he'll need another size up in a year, so this is probably a temporary situation anyway.