Out Island adventure vs Keys adventure

Large overlap.  With one son, I did Munson Island.  Another son did Sea Exploring.  

I'm glad my son and I got to do the 5 mile (??) canoe to / from the island.  That was cool.  

The big difference I see is with Munson you are anchored to the island for five days with all activities based around the island.  The sixth day is the canoe back to the base, sleeping in domitories, A SHOWER, and a luau.  Keys Adventure you get to shower each night, sleep in air conditioning and more diverse activities.  When we were there in August, it chilled down at night to just below 90 with an 85 degree dew point.  It was nasty.  Nothing dried for a week.  It was not comfortable and I was exhausted at the end of the week.  BUT, it was a great time and an easy high adventure.  

If I had to choose again "for scouts", I'd do Monson island.  Shark fishing.  Probably more scuba on beautiful reefs.  Lots of one-time activities.  I can do many of the the Keys Adventures another time as a vacation.  Then again, a shower every night is extremely welcome after spending the whole day in high humidity and a good night sleep is valued.  

IMHO ... it's a choice between being uncomfortable for the week and a vacation.  :)  

I still have my shirt from that trip.  I've put it on a few times.  It still feels like it has things embedded in it that grew on that trip.

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 2

My experience mirrors Fred's - we did an August Out Island trip, and would definitely recommend that over the Keys Adventure.  The boys are still talking about the trip years later, and I honestly don't think they'd be doing that for a KA trip. 

I have done both adventures.  For first time participants I would recommend the Keys Adventure, as it gives you an overviews of all available adventures.  You get two days on Munson, and a day of snorkeling, deep sea fishing, sailing, and a day exploring historic Key West.  Then you can chose what to do on a return trip in the future. 

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, eagle90 said:

I have done both adventures.  For first time participants I would recommend the Keys Adventure, as it gives you an overviews of all available adventures.  You get two days on Munson, and a day of snorkeling, deep sea fishing, sailing, and a day exploring historic Key West.  Then you can chose what to do on a return trip in the future. 

Sadly, our first-time participants were also our last-time participants.  Scouting is a short program.  The years go quick.  For my family, there was one-chance for high adventure.  We could not afford multiple ... dollars, time, fund-raising, etc.  

I love Sea Base because of where we live.  Our troop has done lots of hiking and once a year backpacking. trip  So, Philmont was cool, but not a big driver for us.  Northern Tier trips are cool, but we do canoeing regularly in our troop.  Sea Base is unique because it does not overlap and because of scale and the absolutely different lifestyle in the keys. 

Edited by fred8033