Board of Review appeals

Has anyone dealt with a Scout who was not advanced at a Board of Review (prior to Eagle), and appealed the decision? 

I've encountered this for the first time (appealing a Life Rank BOR that twice decided he should not be advanced) and looking for ideas on what worked best for others to move forward. It's rare enough here we don't have a district or council process other than checking the Advancement Guide. 

What was the process, how long did it take, and how did it turn out? Any lessons learned to pass along?

The closest I got was telling a venturer whose troop BoR turned him down that he was welcome to make rank through my crew, but I would demand flawless execution as usual. He decided that he would do what he needed to be approved by the troop.

Did the board do it's due diligence to provide the scout, in writing, the things he/she must do? That's really the first step.

Are you coming at this from a district position, or as the scout's unit leader?

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

Not a board of review, but somewhat related.

When I was Scoutmaster, I had one boy that I didn't pass off on the Scout Spirit  requirement for Life rank because of attitude and actions from the scout.  I explained to the scout why I was doing it and what I expected to have him change to get signed off.  He understood and expressed interest in changing his behavior.  An hour later I received an angry email from his parents about how what I did was unacceptable and that I needed to pass him off.  I refused and let him know I am happy to meet with him and the committee chair.  He showed up with the printed guide to advancement and told me unless his son is taking drugs then he is passing the scout spirit requirement.  I explained that was not correct and that I could not in good conscience sign off on it.  I also explained to him what I had told his son about expectations.  He then complained to the District Commissioner and Executive who told him that I was fully justified for not signing off.

Afterwards, I did get feedback from other parents thanking me for doing the right thing and not just passing him off.  His parents continued to shoot daggers at me with their eyes and talk bad about me behind my back for a couple of years.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1