Trail to Eagle Class @ Summer Camp

Just got back from Summer Camp - I observed the class "Trail to Eagle".

One adult scouter went to the class with his son and was shocked about scouts answering for scouts that were not there. One scout had left on Tuesday but other scouts answered for him the rest of the week.

Three was a 16 year scout in charge. I tried to make some suggestion to him but he was defensive.

There were three teenagers trying to teach 40 first year campers.

Should the older scouts teach the skills and the adults do the testing?

It is my option that older scouts should have to the oppoturnity to teach. There needs to be supervision by adults The camp directors and programs directors have a lot to do.

Trail to Eagle is a summer camp class, The class is for working on Tenderfoot, Second and First Class rank requirements.

It is alos called hammer patrol.

Should there be area where the scout would bring his scouthand book and receive indivualized instruction and But the testing for the requirements would be by troop leaders.

Another thing would be that a scout would have to meet the tenderfoot, 2nd and `st class requirements for cooking before he would be eligible to take cooking.

It used to be that you had to be a 2nd class scout to earn merit badges other than astronomy, camping, canoeing, cooking, first air, life saving, pioneering, rowingh, signaling, surveying, swimming. These you had to be a 1st class scout.

The breaking of the Scout Law "A Scout is Trustworthy" -

answwering for another scout when the roll was called is a wake up call to get back to doing Scoutmaster Minutes.

We must be prepared to take back the scout badge for violations of the Scout Law.

Cheating, lying, falsifying records, breaking the Scout Oath and Law are steps along the short route. When the real problems come around, is when those that have knowingly taken steps in the wrong direction will not know the right things to do, will not function properly, will be found out for what they are....and it will happen. The worst of all is they will see who they really are and it will be too late. Change happens because we ask for it and engage in it ourselves.

B.P. asked each of us to paddle our own canoe... and rightly so.

FB

eagle54,

How far back is your reference to scouts not earning merit badges before 2nd class?

I attended my first summer camp at age 11 (scout). At this camp I earned: archery, leathercraft and swimming. This experience really fired me up and gave me a real sence of accoplishment even though I did not earn tenderfoot for a few months afterwards.

My main reason for posting is to comment of the "trail to eagle" program. In our area it is called "first year camper". I was very disapointed when a group of boys that were all in my Weblo den (all AOL) were "forced" to participate in the "First Year Camper" program with the other new scouts. The boys spent the whole week reviewing things that they already had signed of for AOL. When I reviewed their handbooks, there was absolutely nothing new signed off for any of them. Needles to say, they were pretty discouraged and I am having a harder time convincing them to go to summer camp this year.

Now that there are no "skill awards" in the program, the younger scouts don't get a lot of recognition for their participation. I know some very active scouts / tenderfoots that show up for the COH and walk away feeling left out.

Are there really that many troops that are neglecting their new scouts that summer camps need to provide this service?

CE

We don't send our new scouts to the First Year program at our camp. I have not been impressed with what I've seen - nor with what I've heard from other camps. I feel it is the troop's responsibility to instill these skills in the young boys. If I were to send them, it would be to reinforce what we teach, not to sign off on things.

Our first years scouts take several "easy" merit badges - basketry and other handicrafts, Mammal Study, etc. We also encourage them to take Swimming, and most of them do. It gives them great pride and a sense of accomplishment to earn that first Eagle MB.

We are leaving for Summer Camp on Sunday. The SM and I are taking a lot of additional materials to have around camp (i.e. Compass, Toten Chip, First Aid etc.) because what we have seen in the past is that the Scout Crafts area where the First Year Campers go is so busy that none of them get any quality, so we will have materials in camp and be available to work with them there.

About the scouts answering for others, I would have a serious talk with the councilor, program and camp directors. A couple years ago at the end of camp there was a signed merit badge card for one of our boys that did not even attend! (Something came up and he couldnt make it) The SM and I had a LONG talk with the program and camp directors (who were pretty embarrassed) and they agreed to talk to all of the councilors about insuring attendance and/or completeness of the different merit badges. We had a boy on staff, and from what he said the point got across to everyone.

Too bad you have to give that lad the merit badge that was signed off, even though he didn't earn it. According to recent posts by Bob White, it was your responsibility BEFORE the signature to make sure the councilor was competent and would do his job right. Once signed, it's too late to retract the badge. It would punish the scout when it was your fault!

Funny, I agree with a lot Bob White says. But we went round and round about this one on a recent thread. I think the scout should have to repeat and earn this badge. Don't "punish" him by giving him something he didn't earn.

The Troop submits the advancement report covering rank advancement and merit badges The troop's duty to follow up when Summer Camp staff passes its members on merit badges.

The SM or his representative signs the "Blue Card" for the Scouts and the Staff signs the card as a merit badge counselar or gives a report of the scout(s) as having meet certain requirements of Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, 1st Class.

For instance also if a scout completes all his requirements for swimming merit badge it could be inferred that he has also completed the swimming requirements for 2nd class scout.

To me those on summer camp staffs are not in it for the financial rewards.

One older scouter volunteer to run the shooting sports areas, riflery, shot gun and archery. This was definite improvement.

On an positive note I have really enjoyed Summer Camp more having left the pleasure of the air conditioned SM lounge and would encourage others to get out and observe the classes.

We offer a First Year Camper Program. (We also offer an Eagle Camp, which was the reason I asked)

Over the years I have heard reports that range from outstanding to a waste of time!!

I'm a little unsure why roll call is so important. If the people are working one on one with each individual Scout (Which I hope they would be doing.)

As for Scouts "Testing Scouts" In our Council the Council Advancement Committee working with the Camp Program Director and the Camp Director try to ensure that those doing the teaching and the signing off are well versed and sticking to the requirements. One has to hope that this standard would be the same no matter who is doing the signing. If the requirement is met, then it has been met and if it hasn't...

Even though I can't see why the other Scouts would answer for another Scout. The fact that they did is not good.

I think a Scoutmaster conference would be in order.

I have never heard of a Scout having his Scout Badge taken away? I didn't think that this could be done and I am in no way for it. It's not the way we do things.

Eamonn

Eagle54,

An SM lounge? With air-conditioning? Where? I'll be lobbying our boys to come to your camp next year! ;) I spent our week at camp either soaked with rain or soaked with sweat.

BTW, our Trail to Eagle class was outstanding at our camp. The young man who led the class was 21 and had taught the class for several years. He was very knowledgable and well liked by the boys and adults. Three adults from our troop spent time monitoring the class and even assisted when asked. We were more pleased with this class than many of the merit badge classes.

Someone tell us again why Summer Camp staff are signing off on a Scout's handbook? I understand that it happens, and that some of the First Year programs are pretty good, and that these older Scouts can certainly be capable enough, but are we really sure that this fast-track sort of thing is the best way to approach Scouting advancement? Just one man's $.02...

We have an air conditioned SM lounge and air conditioned dining hall. Of course, being in S Florida, we also have the rain and sweat. www.tksummer.org

Back to the post... So if the leaders know the scout is not in camp and an camp advancement report is provided stating that the scout has completed rank requirements, he has to be given the rank?

Not sure what you mean by "Fast Track"?

To my mind a Scout meets or doesn't meet the requirements.

If there is a problem with the Camp Staff signing off on a requirement, the Scout can invite the leader to the area and he can see for himself.

Eamonn.