Rifle Shooting Merit Badge Requirements

I remember taking rifle shooting a few summers ago but only got a partial. I did fantastic on all the shooting, and cleaning the rifle. The only problem is, we go out of state and I don’t know the PA gun laws and I didn’t know I had to know every single one in my brain at all times.

Everything was looking good, small class, until the second to last day he told us we have a 5 page ish written test the next day. Guess what, I failed it since I didn’t know every single requirement.

I don’t see where in the requirments you have to take a written test. Isn’t that adding requirements?

19 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I remember taking rifle shooting a few summers ago but only got a partial. I did fantastic on all the shooting, and cleaning the rifle. The only problem is, we go out of state and I don’t know the PA gun laws and I didn’t know I had to know every single one in my brain at all times.

Everything was looking good, small class, until the second to last day he told us we have a 5 page ish written test the next day. Guess what, I failed it since I didn’t know every single requirement.

I don’t see where in the requirments you have to take a written test. Isn’t that adding requirements?

I'm going to say "it depends"....  In the requirements, it states "Explain", and "Identify", so if the test is over those items, then I don't see an issue.  With that said though, I am more concerned about safe handling with my scouts.  I want them to come out of my class knowing and understanding the NRA four rules of gun safety... know what they are, and demonstrate while on the range.  Observing how you handle yourself and the firearm tells me more about your understanding of the requirements than the worksheet or a test.

One of the problems with summer camp badges is that class size changes. One week 5 scouts, next week 17.   So let's look at it from the councilors point of view.

When the requirements say "explain" you can sit down with each of the 5 in turn and have them do so.  Let's say it takes 15-20 minutes each.   With 5 scouts this can be done.  But with 17?  It would take all afternoon and the scouts probably want to go swimming or something. So you have the scouts explain on paper all at the same time.   Then you can go over the tests in the evening.  

Being camp staff isn't always as much fun as it appears 

Edited by Oldscout448
1 hour ago, Oldscout448 said:

One of the problems with summer camp badges is that class size changes. One week 5 scouts, next week 17.   So let's look at it from the councilors point of view.

When the requirements say "explain" you can sit down with each of the 5 in turn and have them do so.  Let's say it takes 15-20 minutes each.   With 5 scouts this can be done.  But with 17?  It would take all afternoon and the scouts probably want to go swimming or something. So you have the scouts explain on paper all at the same time.   Then you can go over the tests in the evening.  

Being camp staff isn't always as much fun as it appears 

I was a counselor at a cub scout day camp... I’ve had 16 scouts and one picnic table... not fun.