This is for all of you Professional Scouters out there who are also fathers. Maybe this is a dumb question, but: While in your career in Scouting, do you have time to also be involved on the volunteer level, as Scoutmasters or Assistant Scoutmasters. Do you have the time to still camp with your kids on the weekend's as leaders and not professionals per say?

I am not a Scout Professional nor do I play one on TV, but we have the Council Executive's son in the troop I serve. Dad is an ASM who comes to summercamp with us all week and routinely leads week end trips. He finds the time to camp with us and be active.

I'd be willing to bet that neither OGE's or John's Council Guy's troop have any problem getting information from their DE. Probably no problems with paperwork vanishing at the Scout Center. They probably have few of the normal bureaucratic problems.

I am a former professional of 9 years and I had time to be involved as an Associate Advisor, Advisor and Service Team member. I also was given time off for volunteer scouting activities. I know of several professionals that are also involved with their kids.

At the risk of waking Merlyn, yes active duty military can be granted "no-cost TDY" orders for scouting activities, meaning they can attend without charge to leave. As a civilian who supervises military personnel, I have to use my vacation time for camp. Back in the 60's our camp staff consisted of many military folks. A Marine LCPL ran the rifle range and taught us how to get a tight group from any position. Mess cooks ran the kitchen and a Hospital Corpsman manned the health lodge. Don't see much of that anymore.

FOG,

I won't bet against you, but I will also bet he deals with ...

Tenderfeet who are homesick on their first weekend out.

the parent who buys a 30 degree bag in an area with -10 winters

the boy who "just doesn't understand why" the District Advancement committee won't pass his Eagle project without the SM signature.

John

I am a Senior District Executive. I have no kids yet. But my father is my District Commissioner. So when I saw the title I thought you were talking about us. I am wondering if anyone else out there knows of a DE having a parent as their District Commissioner or Chairman and how it worked out.

I have a great relationship with my father so it is working out great so far.

Unfortunately the paperwork black hole exists for our troop and Crew as well. As Advancement Chair, MB counsleor Applications get lost as frequently as any other Districts (often) and our adult applicaitons get lost as well.

Angry Beaver139, are you the Council liason for Venturing? Did you used to be the DE for SM? Did you get your Wood Badge Beads in December 2003?

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)