Do we really need summer camps?

I can tell you who needs summer camps: mom and dad.

The summer after my son joined his Troop, he went out of council to Camp Rainey Mountain in NE Georgia. Two hours away. For a week. It was the first time in 10 years he was away from my wife and I for that length of time. He was hesitant, wife was terrified, but in the end it was a win-win. He benefited from the empowerment. We learned to let go.

There are multiple ways for parents to go through the inevitable initial lengthy separation from their child, but IMO summer camp is a great option. The boy that comes back can be noticeably different from the one that left. (Ideally for the better!)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful what you wish for.   I don't know what it;s like in the USA but land prices and the cost of building in the UK are eye watering. Many of the scout owned campsites date from the early days

Why? Fun. Forget MBs, it's just plain fun to be someplace where hundreds of scouts file in for flags and campfires. It's also nice to not drive far away for that experience.     The problem: with

Merit badges should be afterthoughts at summer camp.   Camp is about camaraderie...hiking...swimming...hanging around with friends, old and new, on the front porch of the trading post, drinking a ro