Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I have talked with the boy about this and informed him that I can't get his Eagle paperwork without the documentation to support it. He did have his handbook at Monday's meeting. However, both myself and one of the ASM's noticed some rather rapid scribing in the book during the summer camp discussion with parents. Everything, is filled out up to life and the Eagle MB's with initals but after witnessing his scribing I have my doubts as the the authenticity. Especially since the Old Troops troopmaster records match the council's. I don't want to question his honesty but I know how boys can be.

He did say he had a project planned in the old Troop but "one of the other guys stole it and used it for his Eagle project." That's one reason he quit. The project was never submitted for approval and Eagle project kit was never obtained. I've told him he can use the same project in our town should be easy to get this done as he had an idea same with MBs. Like many of you have said he's done the work just repeat it. That even at FC if he churns out a MB or two a month he can make Eagle my next May when he'll turn 18. I've given him a leadership project with the new scout patrol for his Star leadership requirement and our Troop elections are in May and September so he should be able to fufill these requirements for Life and Eagle.

I also told him that if he does the work, obtains the MB's but gets caught on time to complete his SP I'd support his applicaition for an extension for him but only if he does the work not to grant him more time.

Thanks for all the help.

FOG wrote "This story sounds very familiar. Did someone post a similar story here about a Scout with unsubstantiated advancement? Or did I read that on rec.scouts.usa?"

FOG, I remember this story also. I do not think it is a coincidence. I mainly only read this site. However, I have been unable to find the previous post. I will check some more.

I found the post I was thinking of.

Troop65 Wrote:

RE: Help with Boy interested in being Eagle but not doing the requirements.

Posted: Tuesday, 2/3/2004: 8:12:54 PM quality

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen thank you for your input.

My profile should have said SM. I can tell you a little about the boy (15) he came into the Troop all ready Life rank with no Blue Cards he has moved here from another Council. The parents unfortunately dont remember the council but I have traced to him the Midwest. I have tried contacting that council but have not received any information yet. The boy has told me that in his old troop no one would listen to him and there were no PLC meetings or planning sessions. He has told me that he held Patrol Leader and Senior Patrol Leader positions, this has not been verified. They basically just hung around the bldg. In our troop he has failed to show for any of these meetings. He told the members of the troop not to put him in any position since he wasnt interested and wouldnt do the job. Even Troop activities he shows up and then leaves right in the middle. The last excuse he used was he needed a break to go play some video games, so he just left (with his parents) and came back 4hrs later. The parents go along saying that it is his decision and they support him. The father achieved Eagle rank himself so that is why this is so puzzling. I have tried to schedule SM conference but usually hes a no show. He receives (including his parents) all newsletters and email info from troop weekly. Still we are going nowhere. The Troop committee is very supportive of all unit members. They have talked with the youth and are just as puzzled. So we are picking brains from every where to see what we can try to do to turn this situation around.

Thanks Again

Similar story, different scout......

SMT376,

Please keep us informed as to what happens. I like the way you handled the situation. You are correct he does have enough time to finish the requirements.

Good luck!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10