Inviting friends to activities/campouts - what's your policy?

I am fine with scouts inviting friends on activities or campouts. I only ask that the friend first comes to a troop meeting, so we can properly meet him, and that we know to plan for him coming. Also, we allow siblings to come on some activities or campouts. However, for liability and chaperoning purposes, we require a parent to come.

I had an unexpected issue arise this evening. We're planning a trip snow-tubing tomorrow. The sibling rule is in effect (i.e., as long as parents are coming, they are welcome). What I found out, however, was that two of the families had invited friends of their high school age brothers. I told them both that they couldn't come, and now they're a little peeved.

My concerns are the following:

1) The program is for the Boy Scouts. It's not for older brothers and their friends (these particular boys dropped out of Scouts years ago). IMO, bringing a bunch of other kids takes away from them. They're the ones who have worked on the advancement, planned the activities, etc. Not the brothers.

2) Liability. I know BSA insurance doesn't cover them. We're not recruiting them, so they don't fall under that provision. I'm concerned that, if something were to happen, the famlies could come after me, the troop leaders, the troop committee and the CO.

3) I don't know these sibling's friends. I know our boys. I know their friends. I even know their siblings. But, I don't know their sibling's friends. Therefore, I don't know what type of person they might be bringing onto our troop activity. To me, that's a big concern.

So, what's your thoughts? Do you have policies or practices that you follow? Is my concern out of line?

Scouting is a family program and the BSA encourages family participation when the activities held are age appropriate.

The BSA allows and protects through their accident insurance any program eligible youth who are looking to join the program.

Barring the friends of a non-member from attending was in my estimation the correct thing to do. The family was wrong to try to make you, the troop, and the charter organization legally liable for strangers who had no intention of joining.

We have similar policies.

We do allow siblings to participate in our activities as long as one parent is there to supervise.

I would not allow the friends of a former member to participate. There is no accountability. The idea is to recruit potential members.

We do insist for guests and their parents to attend the meeting prior to the event. This way they are briefed on what is expected, receive a packing list, parent permission form, and that we may answer any questions from the guest or parent regarding anything.

Matua

WOW! Bob & FOG agreed. And a couple of others to boot. I guess it's safe to say I'm on solid ground. I just wanted to feel comfortable with that before tomorrow. I'll make sure it is reinforced at the next committee meeting.

I would concurr as well. We do things pretty much the same way. Membership eligible friends of scouts, with prior notice, and direct family members, with a parent have sometimes joined us on trips and outings. Can't say we've had the issue come up with respect to a friend of a non-scout.

SA

In our troop, the friends and siblings are welcome to come sit in all the meetings, and in activities that have been scheduled and prepared for visitors (Game Night, a car camp trip, visits to musuems, etc). Especially if they are interested in joining up. We'll do one about every quarter or so for recruiting.

But the troop also keeps other activities closed to troop members only. (Or for troop family if it's such an event.) For instance, a Webelos or a school buddy couldn't do an extended hike, or climbing, or boating without prior training. As the troop ideally goes through in preping for the outing.

This is part of how we get new boys too. Afterall, if they could do everything the troop does without becoming a member, why should they join?

We don't have a written policy. We have general guidelines and apply them on an individual basis as needed.

Guests need to be eligible for membership for insurance purposes.

We don't allow guests at district sponsored events like Klondike Derby or Camporee, or council sponsored programs like Camporall or summer camp, nor on troop long term camp or high adventure.

Generally our guests don't attend overnight activities; just day activities. We do make exceptions to that.

When the activity is limited to availability of equipment, space, transportation, etc., we don't have guests.

In the case of former Scouts attending and bringing guests, I agree with other posters. It's having the guests of guests in attendance. Any guest would have a sponsor in our troop, unless it's a court of honor, open house, or other event where an open invitation is extended.

We try to manage membership. We've had 70-75 boys in the past, but prefer 30-40 boys, which is our current size. We don't turn boys away, but avoid recruiting after a point.

Guests can provide outreach to the community, recruitment for troop growth, or filling out a roster (i.e. group rates on a ski trip to lower costs).

You need to evaluate the purpose of the event and how guests fit into that purpose.

Cliff Golden

We have similar policies in our troop -

We encourage boys to invite friends and siblings on trips and outing that are appropriate for the friend's interests, abilities and ages.

On thing we stick to, however, is that the 'friend' must meet all the requirements that the scout must meet - for example, if we are canoeing, they must have previously passed a BSA swim test and meet any other posted requirements for the trip - such as preparational packing / training meetings. Any activity outside of a troop meeting, the 'friend' must have a BSA health form completed and any other permission/ waiver forms completed. For example, we are going to a climbing gym for and overnight this weekend - the climing place has it's own waivers ans permission slips - if a friend wanted to come along, they would have to have those completed AND any troop forms required in order to participate.

Inviting a friend along on a trip or event has been the best way to recruit NON- scouts or dropped scouts/cubs back into scouting. we encourage our boys to bring along a friend whenever appropriate - if they have a good time, they often become scouts.

Out council recently pioneered a new cub program "My best friend is a Scout" working off just this premise. there are plans to launch it as a National program and expand it to boy scouting, as well. It works.

I think one thing we have to remember, however - is that not EVERY boy who joins scouting is interested in advancement, badges, etc. Some WILL join simply to be with their friends and go on fun outings. This is OK - better to have them there in any capacity - than to make them feel they don't belong if they are not on the 'Eagle track'. I'd like to see all boys have the opportunity to be Scouts, even if they aren't big on advancement. We have a few boys in our troop, who aren't reall good at organization and follow - through, who aren't that interested in badges - their parents aren't real supportive, but THEY want to participate. They have all grown from whatever level of participation they get.

One thing to remember too is that Scouting isn't supposed to be an "EAGLE MILL." According to NAtional standards, they are only looking to get the boys to 1st class Scout. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

What I've been telling the boys of our troop is that Scouting is something to experience not just to "get badges." And if they are active, the badges come naturally anyway.

One of the boys has been in Scouting since wolf. He's now 16 and still is a 1st class scout. He has no interest in getting his eagle rank yet he participates and has 28 MBs, just that none are the eagle required. He's focused ont he things that interest him.

In my opinion, he is getting what HE needs out of Scouting and that is what is important.

Unless it is a special "family" campout siblings are not allowed to attend outings. They are welcome at troop meetings if they are concidering joining, but the Scouts do the planning and preparation for the outings and siblings would not have participated in that important process. They also would not be part of the duty roster and the Scouts think that's unfair. The idea of having a parent come along with a sibling just makes the situation worse since the parent (if not a trained troop leader) will not understand the BSA methods, and will not behave appropriately. As a boy-led troop the Scouts decide these issues at their PLC and are quite vocal about not having adults at campouts "acting like parents" with or without siblings in tow.

Ditto the others. But I'd like to have the problem my boys do not seem interested in inviting their friends on outings although they say gee I wish Jimmy was here. To which I say why do you think he is not. Usually get a shrug of the sholders. To witch I add in my Scoutmasters minutes voice Is is perhaps he doesn't know of the fun you have in Scouting?