son is on crutches, should he skip summer camp

Naw, I was creative.  Twisted knee on one and 10 stitches on the foot the other.  No, I was not wearing shoes and yes, I was at a beach, and no I did not cut it on any man made items.  :)

Even hobbling along on crutches, summer camp is a much healthier place to convalesce than at home.

Friends, camp activities, clean air...all much preferable to sitting at home on the couch.  

The logistics of getting around camp are manageable.   It's been done before and whether it was my experience years ago in a similar situation, or helping other scouts with health issues, I haven't heard of one case where the convalescing scout regretting going on the trip.

Keep in mind this isn't a Green Beret selection course...it's BSA summer camp.   Challenging but definitely not debilitating. 

Edited by desertrat77

My 4th year of camp staff, the night before camp started I fell down a couple steps going to dinner, and after an ER visit had a cast.  I was still on-time to report to work the next day.  At first it was thought to just be a sprained ankle, but at the follow up a week later, it was a greenstick fracture.

By no means as bad as you describe, and the camp did make allowances for my uniforming when I had the full cast - I was on an air cast by the follow up.  They also made the golf cart available as I needed it (to get to the campfire bowl, etc), but mostly I just hobbled around the hills and taught the scouts.  Luckily it was not a great distance to the 1st year camper program area from the core camp.

If the doctor has no objections or restrictions, go for it.