Recruiter Strip Question

Krampus, you have my permission to staple your next temporary patch to your forehead.  Wear it proudly.  :)

I wear them in the approved places; either under my right pocket or above the BSA text over the right pocket. Although, truth be told I've only worn a patch in the latter location twice; both jamborees. As soon as they are done I take them off. I don't feel the need to wear my (long ago) jambo patches 30 years after the fact. That's what my red jacket is for. ;)_

Over the years, I have realized that the people on this forum care a lot more about proper uniforming than either Councils or National does. Just page through a few issues of Scouting or Boys' Life magazines.

Over the years, I have realized that the people on this forum care a lot more about proper uniforming than either Councils or National does. Just page through a few issues of Scouting or Boys' Life magazines.

Well, it *is* one of the aims and methods of Scouting, right? See the quote below. Why would we want to do something and not try out best at it? We teach these kids as Cub Scouts to "Do Your Best", right? If wearing the uniform is part of the aims of Scouting why not try to adhere to letter of the law as much as possible? Otherwise what other rules or policies do we want to short cut?

No one is saying you get out with a tape measure and make sure the service star is 3/8" from each patch. But you don't wear the service stars on your collar because you like them.

The uniform makes the Scout troop visible as a force for good and creates a positive youth image in the community. Boy Scouting is an action program, and wearing the uniform is an action that shows each Scout's commitment to the aims and purposes of Scouting. The uniform gives the Scout identity in a world brotherhood of youth who believe in the same ideals. The uniform is practical attire for Boy Scout activities and provides a way for Boy Scouts to wear the badges that show what they have accomplished.

Edited by Krampus

I wear them in the approved places; either under my right pocket or above the BSA text over the right pocket. Although, truth be told I've only worn a patch in the latter location twice; both jamborees. As soon as they are done I take them off. I don't feel the need to wear my (long ago) jambo patches 30 years after the fact. That's what my red jacket is for. ;)_

@@Krampus you missed my point (pun intended) next time use the heavy duty staples and see if that's an improvement!  :)

• Upvote 1

Sometimes you just have to help folks along the trail...

I earned a reputation in doing "good"  Woods Tools at IOLS, so a neighboring DIstrict asked me to help out at their IOLS.  Brought all my gear and "toys" with me and set up.

The Training Chair came over and said to let her know when the "trainees" had completed my part of the training and she would award the Totin' Chip at the Camp fire.  I said they won't earn the Totin Chip, that's for the Boys to earn, I only tell the Adults how it should be / how it might be taught and earned.  She said, but we always present the Totin Chip to them, I said no, I will not . They cannot earn it, they should not wear it on the adult uniform, but I do make sure they know HOW to earn it. 

I had the distinct impression she was quite disappointed in my attitude, and I found out later she had already bought 25 T/C patches and had to return them to the Scout Shop. 

I was asked to help out again the next year, no mention of Totin' Chip for Adults. 

• Upvote 1