New Cub Shooting awards approved

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/programupdates.aspx

Ready … Aim … Fire! Announcing the New Cub Scout Shooting Sports Awards!

Take aim at fun and excitement in your council with the new Cub Scout Shooting Sports Awards. Insignia will arrive in national Scout shops and become available for wholesale customers in February. The awards will be offered in three disciplines: BB guns, archery, and slingshots. Councils may choose to offer one or more of the disciplines. With rank-specific requirements and insignia, there is incentive for boys to earn the awards year after year at camp. Our youth members consistently list shooting sports as one of their most-desired outdoor activities. With these new awards, Cub Scouts will hit the bull’s-eye with fun!
Award requirements link-PDF.gif
Shooting sports award FAQs link-PDF.gif
Shooting sports tracking sheet link-PDF.gif

Still silly that only council (or a professional facility) can run an archery, sling shot or tomahawk event for Cubs and Webelos. I get BB guns, but sling shots? Please.

Agreed, I think the reason they did this is to drive camp registrations.

Agreed, I think the reason they did this is to drive camp registrations.

Our unit has the council archery instructor and we use the local range which has been accredited by the council for operations. We also have several scouts who are instructors. This allows us to host groups for archery and sling shots. ;)

Our unit has the council archery instructor and we use the local range which has been accredited by the council for operations. We also have several scouts who are instructors. This allows us to host groups for archery and sling shots. ;)

nice

Still silly that only council (or a professional facility) can run an archery, sling shot or tomahawk event for Cubs and Webelos. I get BB guns, but sling shots? Please.

The Cub Scout shooting sports program is designed for council or district events not specific facilities although council camps are typically a good place with dedicated ranges to do these activities.   And throwing hawks or knives is not part of Cub Scouting so not sure where there would be any angst about that.....

Not sure how Scouts could be instructors as age restrictions place minimums in archery or BB gun range master at 18.   NRA certifications for a full instructor are 21.   

Richard

The Cub Scout shooting sports program is designed for council or district events not specific facilities although council camps are typically a good place with dedicated ranges to do these activities.   And throwing hawks or knives is not part of Cub Scouting so not sure where there would be any angst about that.....

Not sure how Scouts could be instructors as age restrictions place minimums in archery or BB gun range master at 18.   NRA certifications for a full instructor are 21.   

Richard

BSA precludes Cubs from throwing tomahawks unless at a council event governed by a RSO/Instructor (i.e., an archery instructor).

BSA precludes Cubs from throwing tomahawks unless at a council event governed by a RSO/Instructor (i.e., an archery instructor).

I'm really interested in the source of where this "unless" comes from as the shooting sports information found in both the Guide to Safe Scouting and the Shooting Sports Manual both point out that this is not a Cub Scout program.  Background program materials links below.    .   

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor%20Program/pdf/30931_WB.pdf

Tomahawk Throwing This is a program for Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and Sea Scouts. This program is not approved for Cub Scouts or Webelos Scouts.

or http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss07.aspx

Knife and Tomahawk Throwing

These are age-appropriate activities for Boy Scouts and Venturers following the Sweet 16 of BSA Safety.

Reference: BSA National Shooting Sports Manual, No. 430-938

• Upvote 1

BSA removed the ability for cubs to use 'hawks a year or so ago. They used to be able to use them at council events along with archery, bb guns and sling shots. Now it is just that latter three.

My point is that if a unit has qualified instructors and RSOs, why limit cubs to ONLY doing these things at council events?

BSA removed the ability for cubs to use 'hawks a year or so ago. They used to be able to use them at council events along with archery, bb guns and sling shots. Now it is just that latter three.

My point is that if a unit has qualified instructors and RSOs, why limit cubs to ONLY doing these things at council events?

Doesn't have to make sense....

I would offer up a litigation concern that maybe there is more insurance coverage at council events than what units provide for their events.  Stupid rules usually have a $ connected to them somewhere.

I think that's it exactly... Council events likely have more insurance coverage, and the lawyers didn't feel it was justified for District and Unit events.

I get it, and am frustrated because I was an Archery instructor for Cub Scout Day Camp back in the day.  I can take my kids out and teach them, but can't teach my Pack.  Heck, I've even taught some of the Camp Staff a few things I learned the hard way.

It's unfortunate when lawyers take the fun out of Scouting.  Yet I can almost understand it when I see the trained camp staff making potentially life threatening mistakes.  As much as I wish for online training that would allow units to conduct archery events, I know that eventually someone would get hurt because not everyone has the experience that I do.