Question about Scoutmaster training.

Don't be, in fact in all of my time in Scouting, I've only seen recruiting and uniform materials with the AOL badge on the uniform. That's because as soon as they earn AOL, they can become Boy Scouts. 

That sometimes varies from pack to pack.

When I was doing my WB ticket back in the 1990's, I went back to transition over Webelos boys to Boy Scouts.  They didn't have any WEB II boys so I had to take on the WEB I boys.  No big deal  I had 2 years to finish my ticket.

We went from a twice a month meeting to weekly meetings, knocked out the awards and pins, did a lot of weekend outing activities, pretty much just had a fun time. 

Well they crossed into Webelos from Bears at Blue-Gold in March, a bit early but that's how the pack did it.  Well, we did NOT shut down the den for the summer but plowed right on through having a good time and enjoying the nice weather of summer time.  By the end of Web I, the boys had in fact done so much they had earned their AOL at the end of the Web I year and had another whole year to go!  So we went back and picked up a few more pins, and worked on their Tenderfoot requirements for Boy Scouts.  We planned a big outing for the summer.  Canoed out to a deserted island, did the latrine dig thing, set up tents, went fishing, swam, did their own cooking, etc. Basically just had a blast of an outing.  I had asked a couple of Boy Scouts from my troop to help out for the weekend and they asked why they couldn't have outings like that in Boy Scouts.  The troop I was with at that time was major adult-led and fun outings planned by the boys didn't happen.

Needless to say the boys wore their AOL patch for 6-8 months before crossing over into Boy Scouts when they turned 10 1/2.  The adult-led SM complained to me the whole time these boys would be bored when they got into Boy Scouts because they had already "been there, done that."  But he did allow the boys when they crossed over to immediately receive their Scout rank AND their Tenderfoot rank which was allowed at that time.  The SM's fears of the boys being bored never materialized and all the boys from that den did earn their Eagles.

The lesson I learned from that ticket item, NEVER ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT THE BOYS WANT/NEED UNTIL YOU'VE ASKED THEM!  THEN NEVER TAKE "I DUNNO" FOR AN ANSWER!  :)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What you suggest is one option.  But if your council does not have the mandatory "Trained" requirement, mine is still  phasing it in, then he would be good to go with just YPT.   IF your council is

You can take back your Apology Because my son just earned his Eagle Scout rank 22 Days after turning 18.   I'm happy to see him do what he told me when he was a Tiger Cub Scout.       :D      

Eagledad:   Boring is as boring does.... If your IOLS team doesn't make the course at least worth "camping without kids" , then somebody else needs to try and "fun it up".    IOLS  and the SLS indo

My apologies for misunderstanding your comments, but somehow I got the impression he was Eagle.  As your last line attests, maybe that's where I assumed incorrectly.

You can take back your Apology Because my son just earned his Eagle Scout rank 22 Days after turning 18.   I'm happy to see him do what he told me when he was a Tiger Cub Scout.   :D  :D  :D :D  :)  :D  

• Upvote 3

You can take back your Apology Because my son just earned his Eagle Scout rank 22 Days after turning 18.   I'm happy to see him do what he told me when he was a Tiger Cub Scout.   :D  :D  :D :D  :)  :D  

Congratulations to all!

Even without the rank, he got the job done.  I don't have a problem with boys who are Real Scouts regardless of rank.

I agree as I told others there where far better scouts that were my friends that never earned Eagle

Even if he didn't get his Eagle, congratulate him from me for getting the job done!  That is something he needs to be proud of!