mertiorious action

One does not have to risk one's life to save another, so that litmus test is moot. People's lives are saved every day without the rescuer putting their life in danger.

It likely is fairly subjective even to those reviewing the application. I have friends and family that did some pretty heroic things; one even was nominated for the CMH.To a person they all just say they were doing their duty. IMHO it is THOSE PEOPLE who are the heroes. 

Let the board decide. If they agree, fantastic. If they don't, I wouldn't worry. In fact I would not tell my son (or anyone else for that matter if I was submitting for a third party) that I am nominating them. Reason: If they get the award the will be surprised. If they don't, I wouldn't want some arbitrary board tarnishing what, to me, was a heroic act.

If one were to stop and think clearly about many situations that occur on a daily basis, one would see far more of these awards issued than have occurred.  The two children I saw choking in restaurants would not be alive today if it wasn't for someone knowing the Heimlich.  Proficiency in that requirement isn't just an advancement checkbox. Knowing CPR in and of itself is heroic.  I saw a man go down right in front of the Parliment building in Ottawa.  I was the only one in the crowd who knew CPR.   A police officer produced an AED, but didn't know how to work it.  I did, but didn't have anyone to hook it up while I did CPR.  After 15 minutes, the EMT's took over.  I thought a 15 minute response time was really bad for the center of their nation's capitol.  I thought that because of government social healthcare, no one out of the hundreds standing by could help, and that being a foreigner I was the only one that knew CPR?  A lot of questions, but I didn't stick around to listen to any explanations or excuses.

I find that a well trained Scout is a step above the general masses in society and tend to take that step even further later on in life.  To me that's why that South African Boy Scout TV ad was so impressive.  The writers of that ad was definitely a former scout themselves.

As others have said, submit the form, stating the facts. They are frequently "downgraded" at the local level and result in a Certificate signed by the SE, if it is deemed to not be "meritorious" enough for the National award.

As others have said, submit the form, stating the facts. They are frequently "downgraded" at the local level and result in a Certificate signed by the SE, if it is deemed to not be "meritorious" enough for the National award.

Or, just get some crayons and draw up a certificate on parchment paper. Include a random patch from your collection.

Boys have access to some pretty good printers these days. Guess how valuable one more certificate is in their little minds?

He's your son. He knows you saw and appreciated what he did. Was it at risk of his own safety? By your description, I would say
no. Did he do what he knows was right? Absolutely.  Would he do the same for someone not kin?   Probably.  He has had the training, the example and the opportunity. 

Take him to his favorite Barbecue place for a dinner, just him and you  and let it go at that. 

• Upvote 1