I'm Going to the '05 Jambo

It is official! I got a call today from our Council's 2005 National Jamboree Coordinator to inform me that I had been selected to attend as an ASM with out Council's contingent. I figured I had no chance of going. My son is a Webelos II and will crossover next month. So all of our experience so far as been in Cubs and I've only been a registered leader this year as our Committee Chairman. Our Cubmaster's son is also a Webelos II and he has been selected as well. We will be in the same troop with a gentleman who will serve as our SM that originally inspired our Cubmaster to get involved with Scouting a few years back. There is a lot to get done between now and July 2005, so wish us luck. I'm looking forward to the whole process and getting to go to the Jamboree! To quote my friend Barry (Eagledad), I love this Scouting stuff!

Congratulations! I am going to be the Scoutmaster for our Council's contingent. We are in the process of adding another contingent. Start recruiting those Second year Webelos as they will not be able to attend as a youth in 2010.

Good Luck and hope to see you there. We will be in Sub Camp 11, Central Region.

Dancin

Matua,

I've asked the big Scout Master in the sky to approve your application. Hope to see you there too.

Dancinfox,

Congrats back at you. How big is your contingent? Ours is 144. Actually, it depends on when those Webelos II's birthdays fall. My son's birthday is in late February and he would not be 18 until 2011. He could squeeze two Jamborees into his Scout years. However, from what I've been told, the majority of Scouts attending Jamborees run more in the younger ages than the older ages. That said, I've got to recruit 8 more boys.

Congrats to those of you who are going! Neither my son nor I will be part of the council's contingent. What I will be interested in is information on "visiting" the Jamboree. I understand a lot of people do that. However, I looked on my council's web page about the Jamboree and it was all about the contingent, nothing about visiting. Is there a web site somewhere that would have some information about this? And/or somewhere that would have information about reserving campsites within (say) a half-hour of the Jamboree site?

NJ, I've got some potential bad news for you. I can't recall if it was our Council (I think it was) or National, but I've heard that we (units in our Council) will not have any tour permits approved within a 250 mile radius of the Jamboree while it is being held. They want to discourage units from attempting to attend the Jamporee without belonging to a particular contingent. However, it IS open to the public so nothing would keep you from camping out as a father/son duo (not as a unit) near the Jamboree.

The National rule on Camping near the Jambo is 75 Miles and a scout unit is only supposed to visit for 2 days. With the ID card they gave participants it was hard for a unit to participate in a lot of stuff in 2001. They are supposed to be making it harder in 2005 also

Well, thanks Acco, at least now I know. That is exactly what someone had suggested we think about doing, basically "attending unofficially" as a troop. I guess they didn't "get the memo" yet either. Since most of Virginia is within a 5-6 hour drive from here it would have been do-able as an overnight. But if they are discouraging it, I will not suggest that my troop do it.

It's kind of funny though, if one were to take the 250-mile radius literally... according to maps.yahoo.com, the town nearest Fort A.P. Hill is about a 270 mile drive from my home (Mapquest says 290.) As the crow flies it is probably less than 250. Does that mean we wouldn't be able to get a tour permit to camp in our own county park? :) I also have to wonder how they picked 250 miles, I cannot conceive that someone would camp 250 miles from a place they were visiting; you'd spend the whole day driving instead of visiting.

Thanks Nld. 75 miles makes more sense, though based on what you and Acco are saying, our troop's decision probably will be that it is more trouble than it's worth. Maybe a family trip tied to a visit to D.C., but that's a ways away. (I probably won't last that long without taking my son to the new Air and Space Museum outside D.C. My son, who sits transfixed watching shows about military aircraft on the History Channel, and knows a lot of them by sight, started bouncing off the walls when he heard that the new museum has an SR-71 Blackbird... not to mention the Space Shuttle Enterprise.)

At this point it is not known if the National Jamboree will be open to the public or not. The jamboree site is Ft. A.P. Hill, it is a military base. As much as the BSA would like to have the event open to the public it is not the BSA's decision. The military is making no promises at this time, and has said that in the current security climate it is highly possible that the Jamboree will not be open for visitors. A lot will depend on the security alert level as the Jamboree nears. The explaination I was given is that if the Jamboree were to be held today it would be a closed event for staff and participants only. You can make plans to vist, but be prepared, you might have to change your plans.

SR540Beaver

Our council contingent is 40. Four adult leaders, Four youth leaders, ie(SPL,ASPL,QM,Scribe) and 4 patrols of 8 each. We are 7 away from a second contingent troop. One of the ASM's in my troop is going to be my 2nd ASM and I have 8 scouts from my troop attending. (You know, the troop I serve.) You are in the Southern Region. I don't know what Sub Camp your in, but let me know which one and also what the troop number is, and I'll try to make it over to see you. You to Matua or anyone else. It will be a great time to meet fourm members.

Dancin

dancinfox,

Will do. They just settled who the leadership will be, so we will be getting more info in the future. The coordinator told me yesterday that he would be getting an e-mail out to everyone in a day or two with meeting dates and such. I'm interested in knowing how many boys we currently have signed up. Part of our commitment was agreeing to recruit 9 boys if needed.