You becoming SM is a whole different situation.

Based on the info you've provided, short of a Road to Damascus experience, this guy is always going to be a cancer on the troop. Take qwazse's advice and say something to him now about his lack of support for the current SM. Q is right, his behavior is appalling. The only job of an ASM is to support the SM. If he can't support the SM he needs to get out. If it does nothing else, it will serve as a shot across the bow for you taking over the troop.

As SM, one of your first tasks will be to set this guy straight. Start by explaining your philosophy and how you intend to operate the troop. Specifically point out how the ideas he has espoused in the past are in conflict with your direction. Don't let him weasel away from it. Tell him square up that if he cannot support the SM, he has no function as an ASM.

Frankly, I doubt it works. My hunch, based on your description, is he's just a whiner and makes himself seem important by putting down someone else. Sooner or later he's going to start sawing on your branch, too. The only reason I wouldn't let him go immediately is I've seen guys like this turn around when they see the program work well. These tend to be the hyper-helicopter types who only see that their Sweet Li'l Thang is bored and want someone to entertain him. I've had a couple dads I almost got sideways with but over time, they understood what we were trying to accomplish. They both became tremendous supporters of the program and great volunteers.

<<~~As SM, one of your first tasks will be to set this guy straight. Start by explaining your philosophy and how you intend to operate the troop. Specifically point out how the ideas he has espoused in the past are in conflict with your direction. Don't let him weasel away from it. Tell him square up that if he cannot support the SM, he has no function as an ASM.

>>

Ummm. Sometimes it's a mistake to take the bull by the horns, especially when it isn;t necessary to do so.

If you don't want someone to be an ASM, rather than confront them give them a different job as a Committee Member or something. The easiest time to do this is when rechartering, when a registered Scouter can simply be reassigned to a different position and informed about it after the fact.

But heck, you can do that at any time. A good method might be for the Committee Chair to tell the person that he really needs help doing Y job, and will the person help with that?

It's the gentle art of sneaking up behind someone....

It can be a better approach than being direct and upfront with someone --- something that is overrated.

Moving this ASM to another position could work, it could also move him into a snipers nest position where he lobes his unsolicited mandates from another direction.

Ultimately it's an on the ground, case by case scenario. Only you know this ASM. We don't. Your mileage may vary.

As an ASM myself, I'd never accept a Scoutmaster position if I wasn't allowed to mold my ASM team the way I saw fit. I'd be happy to keep any current ASM's on provided they are willing to follow my lead and not go behind my back to the Scouts or the parents.This guy sounds like he's got his own game plan, and maybe you are a better man than me, but I'd be paranoid about having somebody like that working on my team.

It'd be uncomfortable to have this person removed, but I think sometimes we tiptoe around troublemakers more than we should.

Sentinel947