​Eagle scout project Proposals need metrics

Landscaping according to what the church plans that have been outlined?

If that's the case, the "brief description" should say so, and since it now seems there are "plans that have been outlined", attach the plans. Or describe the plans if they have not yet been committed to paper. We're planting about 10 or more trees. And/or about 15 or more bushes. So if the final writeup shows 8 trees or 13 bushes, no problem. If it turns out to be 2 trees and/or 4 bushes, that's a significant change in the project that gets reviewed at the EBOR, and hopefully is compensated for by something else. And/or: We are levelling out the area all around the church, which after the construction has piles of dirt that we're redistributing, and we're planting (whatever we're planting.) And we're going to create two flower gardens, one on either side of the church. We (now speaking in the voice of the troop committee or district advancement committee) don't need to know the dimensions yet. We don't need to know how many flowers. We just need SOMETHING so we can say there is a description that shows that this project will allow the Scout to demonstrate planning and leadership commensurate with the requirement.

I don't think this is adding to the requirements. The requirement says to use the workbook. The workbook asks for a "brief description," and what I outline above is all within the scope of a brief description. As I said before, "landscaping" by itself is not a description, it's just an idea. But it turns out there isn't really a problem, because as you say, there IS a plan. It just hasn't been described in the first draft of the workbook. Make that change, and whatever other changes go with it, get your signatures, set up a date, recruit your work crews, and start working. (And hopefully this isn't being done in the middle of a very snowy and very cold winter. We just went through a project like that, which will henceforth be known as the Frozen Tundra Project.)

One has to assume that the boy has been in extensive dialog with the church council as to exactly what it is they want provided.

Maybe this is influenced by the profession I am in, but no, one does not have to assume that. If there's been an extensive dialogue, great. That gives the Scout plenty of information to sum up in three or four sentences, which is all there is room for in the box anyway. We don't need to know the number of nails and screws. But somewhere between "landscaping" and the number of nails and screws is the happy medium that I think the workbook is asking for.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rule #1 of goal setting: don't set goals for something that you can't control. Seems to me the "control points" for QA of the project are the SM conference for Eagle and the EBOR where there should