Staking A Tent In Winter

.How do you stake your tents in winter. When we went out this weekend the ground was frozen solid, but there wasn't much snow on the ground. The standard stakes we had would only go in an inch or so before they stopped and/or bent.

If high winds aren't expected' date=' ....[/quote']

In winter? Expect winds. You're also assuming that T2E has a dome tent of some sort.

It's a good policy to keep a set of heavy duty stakes (i.e., nine inch nails) in your kit. Lacking that ...

Run an anchor line to the root of a tree or sapling. Tent should lie downwind from tree. Really, if you are in a high wind area you should set up on the lee of a thicket.

The other lines anchor with large rocks. The bigger the tent, the larger the rocks need to be.

It is possible to "daisy chain tents." That is, run a long rope to which each tent ties in or snaps in with a carabiner or two. Then anchor the rope on both ends to very large roots or 3' stakes.

The rope can be in a loop with both ends tied to one large anchor. If the ends of the loop are staked right, each tent locks in between the ropes. However, I am not a fan of tents in orderly rows. When we set camp we encourage the boys to randomize placement as conditions allow.

Or one can just leave the tent at home. The offer only 10 degrees of warmth on a calm day. Wilderness Survival and winter camping instruction will totally convince one that the tent can be left at home without any problems. I tried it once, just once. After that it's a lot easier to go with other options that are more effective.

Stosh