One Of The Great Mysteries Of Life?

How come a guy who can tie all sorts of knots, pull the perfect pint of Gunniess,use a knife at speeds that scares the bejeebers out of most people. Not wrap a Christmas present?

Her That Must Be Obeyed has gone for the day. With her out of the way the timing was right for filling in all those pesky rebate forms and getting the stuff wrapped.

All the stuff that is needed is in place and ready for use. I know it all works I watched her wrap a mess of stuff the other day.

First I don't know why the people who make the boxes and the people who make the paper can't get together. I end up with way too much and have to cut it, then after cutting I find that it is a tiny teenie bit too small. Then that tape, it sticks to my fingers and itself real good stick it on the paper and it grins at me and curls up on itself.

After the first three or four boxes and two or three rolls of paper I was sick to death of the Christmas music. If Burl Ives had told me to have a holly jolly Christmas I would have told him where to stick it. So I put Legend on by John Lennon, it does have So this is Christmas on it. By the time Working Class Hero came on I was ready to quit.

Life used to be so much easier I would leave home jump on a number 11 bus go to Sloane Square nip into Peter Jones Department store spend my money. As I did they would keep all the stuff and wrap it for me when I was done I would tell a sales clerk who would phone to have it waiting at the door. The doorman would hail me a taxi and I was on way home presents bought and none of this wrapping.

Am I Gift Wrapping Impaired? Or do others suffer as I do?

Eamonn

My own method is to make sure you use plenty of tape. And I mean lots of T A P E !!! Whatever edge or corner is sticking up just slap some tape on it. Any mis-cut piece can be fixed with tape. Any edge that doesn't line up use some more tape. Just imagine you are riding in a hot air balloon shot full of holes descending to a painful death on the rocks below if you don't get it all patched up with tape. That much tape will do the job. Later when people are examining this handiwork I will just claim the kids did the wrapping!(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

Try getting a Christmas themed pillow case. Stuff all of the presents for one person into it and tie the top with a ribbon. Do that for each person. Wash the pillow case and store for next year. I dont do this myself as my dear wife thinks that the traditional paper thing is essential. But I can dream cant I ?

First, I have to ask why anyone would drink Gunniess? Horrible, nasty stuff. Ugh!

Now go to the Hallmark store and buy those cutsie bags for packages and some colored tissue paper. Stuff a present into the bag, crumple tissue paper and cover the present, tie a tag to the handle and you're done. On Christmas morning, fold the bags neatly and save them for next year. One of the great things about saving wrapings is that it provides another source of memories. As ridiculous or incredible as it may seem, my family is still using wrapping paper from 30 years ago. On Christmas morning you hear, "Hey! I remember this, my new bicycle seat was wrapped in this back in 81."

BTW, I learned to wrap packages as a Cub Scout. Maybe that should have been covered in the UK as well :-)

Brother, If I put my hand on the window I can feel the pane!

I do what ever I can to get some one else to do the task for me. When I lived home my younger sister would do them for me. Many a year where she thought she was wraping a gift for my girlfriend only to have me switch the tags later to her own name. My wife loves to wrap so all I need to take care of is her gift and about half the time it comes wraped from the store.

This is really not a mystery....it's in the genome. Women simply have an orgami gene whereas most males don't. Meaning we're forced to find out how incompentant we really are as it's Mother Nature way of keeping us humble before our women folk.

However, the way I solved the problem was to simply wrap presents the same way that I make cartridges for the musket....

"Women simply have an orgami gene whereas most males don't. Meaning we're forced to find out how incompentant we really are as it's Mother Nature way of keeping us humble before our women folk."

Maybe that's the modern western way of thinking but all of the great Oragami artist have been men.

I am somewhat entertained by this. I saw wrapping at its worst last week, when my dorm had a Christmas wrapping party for presents collected for local shelters. Many of the guys (these include engineer majors) were all thumbs and successfully wrapped more of themselves than the boxes. I'll admit wrapping isnt my favorite thing to do before Christmas (but then again, I also hate shopping), but really its not that difficult. My suggestions to avoid wrapping disaters: gift bags, purchasing gifts at dept. stores that have gift wrappers, or talking to your daughters, or female crew members to help you out.

One last tip, its all about measuring before hand and cutting straight to make sure you'll have enough, but not too much paper.

"Somestimes Outdoor Thinker can be so silly, measure first? Thats like asking for directions or reading the insructions, its unseemly,unnatural,unmanly,"

By this statement we can construe that you think that Jesus was unmanly. Indeed, I think that Rooster and others may take exception to that.

The holiday bags that you can seal at the top were made for us.

Mrs. KS gets very frustrated with me. She will align the paper so that where it overlaps, the pattern matches up like you were hanging wallpaper or something. I, on the other hand, will not even fold under that serrated edge, so it shows. She'll let me get away with it if it's a gift for the kids or Maxwell the Wonder Dog, but not if it's going out of the house.

You asked: Why don't the paper and box manufacturers get together on their respective product dimensions? Great question, and when we can answer that, we can answer why hot dog makers and bun makers don't get together on how many of each to put in their packages...

KS

"Great question, and when we can answer that, we can answer why hot dog makers and bun makers don't get together on how many of each to put in their packages..."

It seems that they have. The last hot dogs that I bought came eight to the package, just like the buns.