Eric Holder attacks BSA policy before LGBT pressure group

You cannot refuse a celebate gay-oriented scout for being attracted to other men. Once he acts on that inclination, you can refuse membership based upon the religious standards of your charter org. Would you throw out a scout for shoplifting? Would you throw him out for coveting an item and saying he was temped to shoplift?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the relevant quote: http://books.google.com/books?id=DV8NvhEX2LYC&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=Am+I+a+religious+man?+I%27ll+have+to+let+someone+else+judge+that.+I%27m+a+firm+believer+in+the+

BSA allows leaders of all religious persuasions. An LDS Unit can require LDS leaders, a Catholic Unit can require catholic leaders, and a Jewish Unit can require Jewish leaders. Most units are relatively secular but chartered to Protestant churches, but nothing requires that.

The BSA has since 1988 allowed female leaders, local option is a don't care in your logic statement.

I'm not going to waste anymore time trying to explain this to you. If Robert Gates is to be believed you have at least 2 years to figure it out on your own.

You cannot refuse a celebate gay-oriented scout for being attracted to other men. Once he acts on that inclination' date=' you can refuse membership based upon the religious standards of your charter org. Would you throw out a scout for shoplifting? Would you throw him out for coveting an item and saying he was temped to shoplift?[/quote']

For youth, as far as I am aware, the only explicitly stated reason you cannot deny membership to your unit is the religious affiliation of the youth. If a unit does not want a gay scout as a member he can be denied membership of that unit. The change last year specifies membership of the BSA, not a unit.

I'm not going to waste anymore time trying to explain this to you. If Robert Gates is to be believed you have at least 2 years to figure it out on your own.

It really isn't that difficult, what we (you and I) proved is that local option does not imply a BSA national policy.