What would you say to your 15 year old self?

I didn't want to hijack Rooster's thread -- it's a good one and it got me thinking . . .

If you could sit across a booth in a restaurant with yourself at your current age and talk to yourself as he/she was at the age of 15, what would you tell them to do/not do? As part of the premise, take it that you were successful in convincing the 15 year old that he is you and you are he. Also take into effect that what the 15 year old takes to heart from what you say will effect the current you.

Having taken the above into consideration, I would tell my young self very little. I would like to think that I would tell him that when his right testicle swells up unbeliveably at the age of 17, that he should go to the hospital right away even though it doesn't hurt and his parents advise him to wait until morning -- their advice and his lack of pain will lead to a childless although full of love marriage.

On the other hand, I may not tell my young self that. I would rather have my childless marriage now than a loveless marriage with a child or children now.

I think I would tell the kid-me to never smoke. However, I have learned much by standing outside with the smokers that I never would have learned had I been inside and smoke free. But what would I have learned and how much longer will I live had I never puffed that first cigarette? I'll never know and perhaps I should never know.

I'd tell the kid (me, who at age 15 could think of no other woman than Treva) that plenty of other girls like him and if he let's go of the idea of a relationship with the unattainable, he'll have many pleasures with those he can't even see . . . but then again, that single-minded sense of purpose toward a single woman has led to a happy marriage of 12 years to a woman I adore with the qualities I only imagined were possible in the young woman of my dreams so many years ago.

I'm guilty of too much philosophy, I suppose.

What would you tell or not tell your 15 year old self if you could sit across from him/her at your age now?

DS

DS,

It sounds like you would tell your 15 year old self, "There will be some rough spots, but you have a wonderful and full life ahead of you. Be sure to enjoy it."

I think I might have the same conversation with a 15 year old version of myself. Except, I would tell him to never get locked into an AT&T cell phone contract that seems like it will last for the rest of all natural life. And to start flossing regularly as soon as possible.

There is one thing that I have passed on to folks at that age that was given to me at about the same time.

My junior high school music teacher(a fellow Eagle Scout I was to find out) gave the following observation:

There are no second chances. It will never again in our lifetime be 9:40am December 12, 2003. So, choose what you will do on any given day wisely. Consider the consequences because you will not get to change them. At best we may get to do something a second time, with a different outcome.

Just something that I've remembered over the years. Not that it's prevented me from making mistakes, but it has made me pause sometimes before I acted.

SA

I sinecerely apologize to anyone I may offend with this post, but I have been thinking about this since the subject came up and wont be in peace until I say it

Said to 15 year old self:

Be careful of older adults who think its their missiom in life to tell you how to live your own. They may have a vast experience of knowledge and wisdom, but its going to relate specifically to their own being and may not be as valid to you. There are truths you must accept, but only after your own resolution. Learn to think critically and make your own descisions and the consequences thereof. Never be afraid to ask for advice, but treat advice offered without request quite carefully.

Never beleive these are the good old days, always know the best days are yet to come because you will always need to strive to improve, for once you start living in the past and start with the coulda's, shoulda's and woulda's you may find you have no future hopes, only past regrets. When some one asks me whats the most fun I ever had, the happiest time, the most proud, I have an answer, but it always ends with "...so far". I dont see how any one can live thinking thay have already been as happy as they will ever be, as good as they will ever be, the past is gone, the future is yours to make.

I would aske my 15 yrs. old self would will I accomplish. What people should I avoid, become friends with? Also, which girls I should ask out!

And I would have to ask, who will win every major sporting event, and the lotary numbers, and what things should I enter, and what classes and teacher to take and not to take?

Come on I know some of you would tell your 15 yr. old self who would win each sporting event, so that in the long run you will be rich!!!!

Do your homework. Don't drive while intoxicated or under the influence of anything. Don't do all nighters. Even a few hours of sleep will make more difference. Buy Microsoft.

If it sounds too good to be true...it is.

I had hopes that Senior Patrol Leader, Hops and our other youth friends would see the question from the youth perspective and I'm glad he brought it up.

I'm sure our 15 year old selves would have a lot of questions similar to those brought up by SPLT15. First of all, I would not answer the sports questions, nor would I have asked them of my older self. I simply don't care enough about sports to know the answers and wouldn't at 15 have cared enough to ask them.

I would have asked my older self questions about meeting my wife (our wife?) children, politics -- who's President when I'm your age? -- Are our parents still alive? Did I get into West Point?

I would not answer those questions for my younger self. If I did receive those questions from my 15 year old, the answers would pain him greatly and could cause him to do something that would destroy our life.

The answers, just for the heck of it would be:

Met our wife at Scout Camp. the 15 year old would buy that one. But then he'd take every camp assignment and propose to anyone who warmed his heart -- which to that kid didn't take much.

No children. Ya can't have 'em.

George Bush is the President of the United States (that answer would lose me credibility with my younger self -- he had just been sworn in as Vice President, hadnd't he?)

Yep. Mom and Dad are still alive. They're going to get a divorce when you're 21 and there's nothing you can do about it. Don't even try.

No, you didn't get into West Point.

Nah. I think in answer to his questions, I would pirate thoughts that OGE expressed and hand them to myself -- but I was already pretty aware at the time.

DS

SPL comes through with one I hadn't anticipated! Cool.

What would I, today, at the ripe old age of 37 (38 next Friday) ask my 70 year old self?

Well, the answer may surprise SPL, but I doubt it would surprise the 70 year old version of me (feel free to answer his question from your own pov folks)

I would ask 70 year old Dave Steele:

Are you true to your ideals?

Do you still love your wife? (I wouldn't ask if she's alive or dead. I would not want to know.)

Hmmm . . . actually, I think I would be more interested in answering the 70 year old DS questions than in asking my own. I'd want to look in his eyes and feel his hands and get a feel for his pulse and take on life.

If he's hale and hearty, then all is well. I fully expect that he's retired and owns a quilt shop that he runs when he feels like it and teaches classes to old people in his spare time and enjoys getting invites to the occasional Eagle Court of Honor or Blue and Gold -- but wouldn't be surprised if he had finally published his novel and was a good long walk away from the matters of the BSA.

Interesting quesiton, SPL. Glad you asked.

DS

Not sure why? But this reminds me of Dickens A Christmas Carol. Marley is dead. I think that OGE and I are on the same wavelength. While reflection and self assessment are good. I don't want to dwell in the past.Everything that has happened to me or I have done, seen, heard or read has left me with something. It really makes no nevermind if it was good or bad or if I was right or wrong.Much of it has gone into making me what and who I am today.Some things may have been of my own making others happened with or too other people. Eamonn the guy who is nearing the half century has taken life as it came. Yes plans were made and at times goals were set, some were reached others got lost in the haze of living.

Still not to be to much of a stick in the mud. I would like to share something that has stuck with me for a long time. It comes from a prayer book that got lost in a move a long time ago.

A young man was passing a church the sign outside was black with white lettering. It read "Live Everyday As It Were Your Last."

Lord, I wanted to change that sign, make it white with big black letters that would read "Live Everyday As If It Were Your First."

If I were to go back I think this is what I would want to hear.

Eamonn

A GREAT question!

I would tell her that her involvement in Scouting has been immensely valuble. Her Scouting experiences have served her well in almost everything she has done. So keep it up - ignore the people in school who think Scouts is for losers and DON'T drop out of working summer camp for ANY boy!

Boys are every bit as scared as you are.

Do NOT listen to your parents and older siblings when they tell you that you can't be a teacher (your grades aren't good enough), or a professional scout (not enough jobs), or go into social work (impractical)or psychology (to much school for you)or WHATEVER. They are practical, Grounded people, and they LOVE you - but they are NOT you!

Go for your dream, what ever it is, NOW!

Get and keep your OWN credit.

Appreciate your family - you are one of the lucky few to have a terrific, supportive family (even when you DON'T follow their direction!) - thank-yous and hugs cost little but are worth alot.

Stay active! your ability to eat anything and stay rail thin WILL end - Give up chocolate and take up jogging or biking or something!

Don't sell the house in Bloomingdale - keep it and rent it out!

BELIEVE what they say about retirement funds! START saving with your first job - it's much harder to put $ in there after you have a house, kid, and other bills!

laura