Correct pocket knife for Bears?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pocket knife is far to small to effectively dispatch a bear. You need long blade to get enough penetration, needs to be robust as the bear will not hold still while you try to skewer vital organs. I

Recently bought my son a "My First Opinel" to give to him once he completes the Bear Claws/Whittling Chip activities this week.  Some of the requirements necessitate a multi-tool or Swiss Army Knife (

Anything that folds neatly and the handle fits tidily in the boy's hand will do. Going to the sporting goods store (or section) is part of the adventure IMHO. In department stores, it's usually just

...I think the safest knife would be a short-bladed sheath knife, despite Boy Scout discouragement of said knife. As a youth, I never cut myself with my sheath knives, only with my pocket knives. 

@@perdidochas, I had the same experience.

But I think it is because I used pocket knives more. More clothing comes with pockets than sheaths, so I was more likely to have a pocket knife at the ready (e.g., at ease before evening flags at JLT when I was obsessed with perfecting my toggle :confused:).

@@perdidochas, I had the same experience.

But I think it is because I used pocket knives more. More clothing comes with pockets than sheaths, so I was more likely to have a pocket knife at the ready (e.g., at ease before evening flags at JLT when I was obsessed with perfecting my toggle :confused:).

Well, I think with me, I tended to open and close the pocket knife a lot. That said, even though I did the same with lockblades, I tended not to cut myself as much with them. I think it's because they opened easier than conventional pocket knives.

• 7 years later...

Recently bought my son a "My First Opinel" to give to him once he completes the Bear Claws/Whittling Chip activities this week.  Some of the requirements necessitate a multi-tool or Swiss Army Knife (show how to use the screwdriver, can opener), so I might end up getting him (or me) a multi-function knife as well, but keep the Opinel as his "Whittling Knife."  It sure looks good, it'd be a shame to not use it!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

A simple Swiss Army Knife works well for Bears. But just keep in mind that when your scout crosses over to a troop, they will likely want a different knife. SAKs are less popular with older scouts, and when that first-year Scout sees the older scouts with single-blade locking knives, that's what they will be asking for.

Get something simple to cover the Bear/Webelos years, and then be ready to replace it once they join a Troop.

Also if you happen to have an heirloom knife that was maybe yours or your dad's that you want to pass down to your scout, save it until they are older. I held on to a Swiss Army Knife my dad gave to me 30 years ago just for my son to lose it at his first summer camp with the Troop.

I'm learning the lesson not to give my son anything important or expensive in these early years of troop life. We're already down one knife and one headlamp that just vanished somehow.