rafting in the bsa program

We have done numerous rafting trips on the New River in West Virginia. The Outfitter had certified BSA merit badge counselors on staff as River Guides and they worked in all the requirements for the Whitewater Merit Badge during our stay. River Expeditions (formerly Rivers Whitewater) do a great job with special scout packages and pricing.

Dale

I would say that about Covers the Subject pretty good.

Only Whitewater we see in Texas is "Floods" and in Water parks

Our Lakes are so low we had to Cancel the Aquatics Portion of Summer Camp..seems no one wanted to wade out through all the mud to try and get to the Water.

• Downvote 1

Quit worrying about the dang merit badges and go have fun! This ain't Webelos anymore. Boys don't have to get an award at the end of every activity. If a scout wants to earn the merit badge, let him worry about it. Give them the name of a counselor and let the Scout pursue the badge. The rafting trip will be a good conversation starter with the counselor.

Our troop does as much or more canoeing/rafting as we do backpacking. I've yet to have a kid mention the MBs on any of the trips. Of course once they've done a couple trips, earning the MB is pretty easy. We try to have one campout prior to the trip where we can do skills instruction and checks. I'm not the counselor, but I believe they boys cover many of the MB requirements then. However it is still up to the scouts' own initiative to contact a counselor and complete the actual requirements.

We've done trips to the New River Gorge (I forget the name of the outfitter -- last left before you cross the bridge) as well as Natahala Outdoor Center near Bryson City, NC. (Canoe trips we do on our own.) New River is much longer and intense, but Natahala is a much better value. I highly recommend both.

Question: Does anyone know the status of the rafting program at the Summit? In the planning stages, that was supposed to be one of the main attractions of the site. But of my guys who went to jambo, I don't think any went on the river.

Just starting to research doing a few rafting things next summer. How does rafting fit in the BSA program? Don't see a merit badge. What does your troop do?

It can be part of requirement 9b for Camping Merit Badge. It's also part of the National Outdoor Badge in Aquatics or Adventure.

There are a lot of great opportunities. Some with less whitewater than others. Respect the age restrictions of your outfitters.

Discipline is the key. Everybody has to have their "head in the game." Not just be swimmers/paddlers.

They need to be comfortable falling into cold water with life jackets on: Adults as well as Youth.

They need to understand water rescue from a the boat.

MB instruction is not a bad way to do that, but like 2C said, not everyone needs to work on the MB to go. You just want to schedule some skills sessions so that they get comfortable with what's ahead. Most outfitters provide some instruction before launch. Choose an outfitter that will provide supervision commensurate to your contingent's experience.

I had one leader who was all about canoe trails who had no clue what were getting into on class IV. Fortunately there was a portage that she could step out on and rendevous with us while she got her head back.