Calling all Veterans!

To the Veterans on these forums -- whether Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, or any other who have fought or served to protect the citizens of the United Sates or any other country.

Please accept my Scout Salute and sincere thank you for your service. I bow to you and humbly thank you for protecting me, my family, my country.

Today is the day we honor you, but I have to tell you that your service is appreciated every day. We just don't say so enough.

I once had lunch with a valued volunteer (whom I'm about to call.) I mentioned that I'd been working hard and that I hadn't been home with my wife for a while, he said, "I'd feel sorry for you, but I was a P.O.W. in Vietnam for 8 years and had no contact with my wife all that time."

During the time that he was locked in a cell in the hell they call Vietnam, I was earning my Bobcat Badge. I earned the rank of Eagle while he was locked away from his wife, his country and his home. An entire lifetime (of learning experience) was had while he ate rice with bugs in it.

We owe the veterans so much. Call every one you can think of and say, "thank you."

They sacrificed so much for so many.

It doesn't matter what they are veterans of. They served us and we owe them our gratitude. Let's give it to them.

A special salute to the veterans.

THANK YOU!

On behalf of Dave and Tanya Steele, the Boy Scouts of America, and a grateful United States of America, I thank you, the Veteran!

DS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOG, maybe DSteele was travelling on the other side of the International Date Line when he wrote his post.

Maybe he figured you wouldn't read it until after midnight.

Maybe he suddenly converted to Orthodox Judaism and thinks it's Friday. (Just kidding about that last part DS; but if in some alternate universe that were true, it would also be true that you'd have to do any typing applicable to something happening on Saturday on Friday afternoon, because you wouldn't be able to type anything between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday.)

In other words, give the guy a break. :)

I too extend my thanks and appreciation for all the veterans of this great nation. And veterans should also thank each other and those not in the service who support them. All service members and veterans are all my brothers and sisters and no amount of appreciation can be enough for their service and sacrifice.

And lets not forget the thousands of our service men in women currently serving, many in harm's way.

If only there was peace....

Owl62

Scouter and Soldier (MSG, US Army, Retired)

Oh - Happy Birthday Marines! (10 NOV 1775)

GO ARMY! HOOAH!

Thanks, Dave!

I'm actually on USAF Reserve duty right now. Nothing to get too excited about - just my annual 2-week active duty tour at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. I don't really have time for (another) part-time job, but am proud to still serve in my small way.

I wonder how many of our "Forum Fighters" are also vets? Speak up, gang!

-mike

Alright, I'm going to take a few guesses and name some of the veterans on the forums...

--Red Feather was a medic in the 101st

--KoreaScouter is/was in the Air Force in Korea/Hawaii

--Purcelce is in the Air Force at Scott AFB

--Mike F is a reservist in the Air Force

--Owl62 is?/was in the Army(Hooah!!)

--FOG was in the Navy??

--AK-Eagle is/ was in the Coast Guard and something else I believe

--le Voyageur said this earlier--"With Vetern's Day on the morrow....

Bronze Star with V (valor)

2 Purple Hearts

Criox de Guirre

Air Medal (7, 3 with V's)

Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry

Combat Action

Navy Expeditionary

Armed Forces Expeditionary

PUC

MUC

NUC

Vietnamese Campaign with USMC emblem

and a few others...."

--Its Trail Day was in the US Navy

--DSteele attempted to be one in the Army;)

If I'm missing anyone, I'm sorry and if any of the above are wrong, I am sorry about that as well:)(This message has been edited by hops_scout)

A couple of things:

Veterans Day was observed, in my neck of the woods, today. This does not change my feelings toward veterans.

Trail Day -- Hops didn't miss you. He's got your back. Thanks for your service in the U.S. Navy.

Hops, my desire to be in the U.S. Army does not in any way even come close to veteran status. They served and I did not. Our thanks should go to those that serve.

And who are yet to serve . . . Hops, I also applaud your intention to become a member of the United States armed forces. It is an honorable thing you seek to do.

I'm a proud long-term member of the BSA -- but not a veteran. There is a BSA veteran Award and I've got a 25 year pin (almost 30) truth be told, but that's a lot different and a far cry from being a Veteran of the US of A.

DS

God Bless our veterans, regardless of the day!

It is November 11, 2003 here today. In fact its 2:26 pm and I was at the Veteran's Day Ceremony at the Governor's Complex earlier this morning.

Nice Ceremony, Alot of Veterans from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Lebanon, Panama, and the Gulf War showed up to pay respects for our fallen comrades and just to see and meet others who have served. It rained alittle. I met some Philippine U.S. Army Scouts. Some of the remaining Guam Militia, who hunted for Japanese Stragglers.

I served with the 82nd Airborne Division during the Gulf War as a Communications Sergeant attached to 2nd Brigade (325 Airborne Infantry Regiment). I did 8 years with the Army. My last tour was with the 32nd Army Air Defense Command in Darmstadt, Germany.

Matua

(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

"Hops, my desire to be in the U.S. Army does not in any way even come close to veteran status"

I'm with hopper, you stood up and were willing to go, you just weren't picked. That says much for you.

For my part, I've never been comfortable with the term "veteran." Growing up, a "veteran" was guy who had been "in the war" and despite what Congress and the DoD say, I still think of it that way.