Webelos & Canoeing

With an adult on board, show that you know how to handle a rowboat. Hey BD, Notice is doesn't say anything about the rowboat actually being on water. :) Have a nice weekend.
Nice, basementdweller, real nice... Not only no sense of humor but no scoutlike demeanor either. I feel sorry for the boys in your troop, if you actually do have one.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cub Scouts Assaulted on Canoe Trip; BSA Denies Coverage A recent canoe trip has left several young boys injured and the Boy Scouts of America denying any liability for the incident.   Accordi

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss02.aspx#i is the current version of safety afloat which covers this situation as well as other aquatics activities. Please note that finishing this during a council / district run event on flat not flowing water is the way to do this as an offiical scouting activity. There are not den or unit aquatics in cub scouts. I'd like to point out to those on the list that are taking a less than conservative approach to this that the thought of loosing a house is notthing to the thought of loosing a kid or participant. Please contact your councils aquatics committee for local guideance and assistance in having this young man achieve the Aquanaut.
Smart phones are a wonderful thing.

Most locations have pretty decent coverage.

With an adult on board, show that you know how to handle a rowboat. Hey BD, Notice is doesn't say anything about the rowboat actually being on water. :) Have a nice weekend.
Why pity them, they are having a fine time in scouting.

They are the band of brothers, a true patrol who hang out together inside and outside of scouting.....

Ya must have missed old KDD's mincing words about auspice and how many boys does it take to have a patrol outing in posts earlier this summer....... That is sort of where his exactly as written comment comes from...... and the basis for mine.

His troop didn't go canoeing because they were worried about beer drinking college kids on the river. Excuses there are a million of them.

I am still interested in hearing from Richardb and the repercussions of not following BSA rules.

Cub Scouts Assaulted on Canoe Trip; BSA Denies Coverage

A recent canoe trip has left several young boys injured and the Boy Scouts of America denying any liability for the incident.

According to Cub Scout Den Leader John Smith, his group of 9-year old boys were on a short canoe outing on Big Lake, accompanied by their parents.

"Suddenly this guy comes up to us, calling himself Kudu, ranting and raving about the scout charter," said Mr. Smith. "I heard him say, 'You young hoodlums should be back with your den mothers making macaroni art, not out on the water where only red-blooded young men belong! I'll box you about the ears with paddles made in the fashion of those manufactured in 1916!' And he just started wailing on everybody with his paddle."

But the young boy's nightmare trip had just begun. "Then another guy paddles up, apparently going by the name 'basementdweller.' Starts calling me a candy… well, he starts calling us a bunch of very non-scout-like names. Says he's going to 'turn us in to national for not following the rules,' whatever that means. Says we're not even supposed to be on the water. Starts tipping the boys out of the boats, saying he's the only one who knows the right way to canoe," Smith said.

Unfortunately for these young, innocent boys, their nightmare trip wasn't over. Upon notifying the local scout office of the incident and injuries, Smith was shocked to learn that national BSA was going to disavow itself of any insurance coverage for the incident.

"I got a call from some guy named 'Richard' who said that cub scouts aren't allowed to go in canoes. I never heard of such a thing," Smith said. "Apparently it's in something called the 'Gee Too Essess,' which I never got a copy of. Nobody else I know ever heard of it either. It's just heartbreaking."

On contacting the BSA's national offices in Texas, a spokesperson refused to comment on the incident and instead referred the Journal to a recent press release on the organization's commitment to youth protection.

• Upvote 1
I am still interested in hearing from Richardb and the repercussions of not following BSA rules.

A recent canoe trip has left several young boys injured and the Boy Scouts of America denying any liability for the incident.

According to Cub Scout Den Leader John Smith, his group of 9-year old boys were on a short canoe outing on Big Lake, accompanied by their parents.

"Suddenly this guy comes up to us, calling himself Kudu, ranting and raving about the scout charter," said Mr. Smith. "I heard him say, 'You young hoodlums should be back with your den mothers making macaroni art, not out on the water where only red-blooded young men belong! I'll box you about the ears with paddles made in the fashion of those manufactured in 1916!' And he just started wailing on everybody with his paddle."

But the young boy's nightmare trip had just begun. "Then another guy paddles up, apparently going by the name 'basementdweller.' Starts calling me a candy… well, he starts calling us a bunch of very non-scout-like names. Says he's going to 'turn us in to national for not following the rules,' whatever that means. Says we're not even supposed to be on the water. Starts tipping the boys out of the boats, saying he's the only one who knows the right way to canoe," Smith said.

Unfortunately for these young, innocent boys, their nightmare trip wasn't over. Upon notifying the local scout office of the incident and injuries, Smith was shocked to learn that national BSA was going to disavow itself of any insurance coverage for the incident.

"I got a call from some guy named 'Richard' who said that cub scouts aren't allowed to go in canoes. I never heard of such a thing," Smith said. "Apparently it's in something called the 'Gee Too Essess,' which I never got a copy of. Nobody else I know ever heard of it either. It's just heartbreaking."

On contacting the BSA's national offices in Texas, a spokesperson refused to comment on the incident and instead referred the Journal to a recent press release on the organization's commitment to youth protection.

sadly some cub mom or clueless dad will stumble upon these for forums and take your little story as fact....

Just hope your not the one to find out what happens first hand.

Of course I don't ever expect Richard to actually give us an answer.

I wonder if posts like this keep the ivory tower inhabitants of Irving awake at nights.

Love the comment!!!

Stosh

A Row boat is different from a canoe. Row boats are less tippy. The aquanaut badge specifically says to use a rowboat for the achievement. I don't know how that could be interpreted as "canoe".

Ever been in a rowing shell?

Blake I have never been under the illusion that my boys and I are anything more than tick marks on someones ledger....

So the Ivory tower losing sleep at night over what the mice are doing......Naw.

Thanks for the chuckle, Brew!

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.
A Row boat is different from a canoe. Row boats are less tippy. The aquanaut badge specifically says to use a rowboat for the achievement. I don't know how that could be interpreted as "canoe".

Ever been in a rowing shell?

Hmmm a flat back canoe with a motor on it? Does that qualify for motor-boating? And where does kayaking fit into all this? If the kayak paddle breaks is it now a canoe? These are some tough questions that maybe some of our legal eagles out there can address.....

And by the way, I have two freighter canoes that can't be used for the canoeing merit badge because the boys have great difficulty tipping them over. :) Instead of the v-hull of the conventional canoe, they have wide flat bottoms and after 15+ years of whitewater canoeing, I have never accidentally rolled one in the rapids. I did once in an emergency situation, and as an adult even I had difficulty getting it rolled.

Stosh

Although I would agree that most row boats are less tippy than most canoes I don't think that it is a blanket statement. Went my son did aquanaut he skipped that because we don't have access to a row boat.

Personally I think that a sit on top kayak, is a better vessel to learn boating and rowing saftey. it is as stable if not more stable than a rowing vessels, I think that it is more intuative to paddle, the fact that you are typically facing forward makes it easier. If you go over board self rescue is much easier. Since they are self bailing you really can't sink them unless you cut a hole in it. I think that the BSA lumps sit on top and sit inside kayaks together the sit inside are tyically not as stable and self rescue is harder.