National Outdoor Achievement Badges and Award

Troop webhost records miles hiked, nights camped, service hours.....and I recently started tracking hours of water activity......But I use event notes for that....It all comes out on the scout history report.
And who is doing it for his son?????

I set it up once in TWH calendar take attendance and everyone their gets credit...... a no brainer.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know of at least one scouters son who will receive the award unearned.

Troop webhost records miles hiked, nights camped, service hours.....and I recently started tracking hours of water activity......But I use event notes for that....It all comes out on the scout history report.
KDD,

I'm a former advancement chair who lived through the process from going from Troopmaster to TroopWebHost. Partial merit badges and activities don't transfer, but otherwise it works fairly well. It is a great way to communicate, and the best thing is that as AC, I spent less time printing out copies of their progress reports for the Scouts. They (and their parents) can do that now. Also, leaders can update activity information themselves.

I give up KDD your son's scouting program has got to be the absolute worst on the planet. Not meeting in the summer is not the norm in my part of the country, we all meet year round. We camp 11 months out of the year, canoe, hike, rapell, camp, backpack........

I am sorry that you feel the need to bend the rules so your scout can feel special.....

My boys, if they choice to earn it, will earn it as written..............At troop, patrol, council, or national events.

You were asked to be SM.....if you don't step up then whose to blame????????????????

your lucky.....I am told that our council had gear to loan or rent years ago.....

But abuse by the folks that borrowed it ended the practice......I understood they even loaned out canoes too....

Units screwing each other over.

In my experience with TWH, the boy's can't do it, KDD. Ohhh, the FAQ says the Historian can take attendance, but he can't. And why would it be Historian and not Scribe to begin with? Anyway...the scout accounts can't do attendance. I imagine they can't add events or log miles/hours, either.
So back to my log book idea.....

keep in mind that I'm a cub leader, and as a youth wasn't very active as a scout..... and that was a long time ago anyway so I have little memory of requirements....

It seems that there are a lot of requirements for time and distance for the various merit badges and awards.

I can imagine boys that get started in scouting would have absolutely no idea about any of this...... but they might end up doing quite a lot of something that could apply to a merit badge or award during their first year or so, but have no idea to keep track of it....

So it seems to me again that encouraging a log book from the start might be a good idea...

logging everything that a boy does that might be "scouting" related

canoeing outings, miles paddled, Kayaking outings, miles paddled, bike trips, miles biked, number of camping trips, nights camped, numbers of hikes, miles hiked, etc.....

.... and it seems that under each of these categories to be tracked, he would need to record "auspices" or let's call it "free time"

For a very active boy in a very active family, or a very active troop, it could be hard or impossible to go back and remember all of these things once he decides to go for a certain badge or award.......

Do any boys do this?

Do any of you leaders encourage such tracking?

Why log free time when it doesn't count. (I used a period on purpose ;) )
You just need to create a job title historian or scribe and give him permissions to access program....
Scouter99,

It's very easy to set up a Scribe or historian role and assign it to a Scout. We've done that, now we just have to get our Scribe to consistently show up :-)

many posts back, Basement wrote, "The best part....he will never have intended to earn it....He will have earned it thru the course of an active scouting career.....Not thru book keeping tricks."

Not that's a noble goal! I wish it could truly flow like that...... The boys go out and do scout stuff, have fun, then at some meeting some time in the future, they get surprised with some award that someone figured out that they earned. Thing is though, who is that "someone"? At some point it has to become and intention to earn it, otherwise who would know if meets the requirements if not for some book keeping?

why doesn't it flow like that???? I have one scout that just finished pioneering at summer camp and will receive the initial award and the camping rocker in a couple of weeks.....He has no clue he earned it......

As SM I just keep track of who shows up for what.......For patrol outings I rely on the PL for the info.....

It is no big deal....

If your program is active enough it camping and high adventure will just happen, Aquatics, well the mile swim is going to take some pushing, hiking with a bit of guiding will happen, riding is an issue.

why doesn't it flow like that???? I have one scout that just finished pioneering at summer camp and will receive the initial award and the camping rocker in a couple of weeks.....He has no clue he earned it......

As SM I just keep track of who shows up for what.......For patrol outings I rely on the PL for the info.....

It is no big deal....

If your program is active enough it camping and high adventure will just happen, Aquatics, well the mile swim is going to take some pushing, hiking with a bit of guiding will happen, riding is an issue.

Well that's great. I hope it does if/when my son crosses into a troop!

My only point was that at some point somebody has to go back and count up miles, nights, or whatever the criteria..... and if the boy doesn't do it, then who. I guess in your boys' case it's you..... I like the sound of the boys just having fun, and not really aiming for an award. Kinda makes the log book something I don't want to encourage.... except I think setting goals and working towards them can be good too.

Ok KDD and BLW

we are going to look at the requirement

Camping. A Boy Scout or Varsity Scout may earn the National Outdoor Badge for Camping upon successfully completing the following requirements:

1. Earn the First Class rank.
  2. Earn the Camping merit badge.
  3. Earn two of the following three merit badges: Cooking, First Aid, Pioneering.
  4. Complete 25 days and nights of campingâ€â€including six consecutive days (five nights) of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of Americaâ€â€including nights camped as part of requirements 1 through 3 above.

A gold device may be earned for each additional 25 nights of camping. A silver device is earned for each additional 100 nights of camping. The Scout may wear any combination of devices totaling his current number of nights camping.

So item 4 says 25 nights under the auspices........The following line says for each additional 25 nights..... I don't think that they should have to rewrite under auspices again in the following sentence.........

Ok KDD and BLW

Camping. A Boy Scout or Varsity Scout may earn the National Outdoor Badge for Camping upon successfully completing the following requirements:

3. Earn two of the following three merit badges: Cooking, First Aid, Pioneering.
  4. Complete 25 days and nights of campingâ€â€including six consecutive days (five nights) of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of Americaâ€â€including nights camped as part of requirements 1 through 3 above.

A gold device may be earned for each additional 25 nights of camping. A silver device is earned for each additional 100 nights of camping. The Scout may wear any combination of devices totaling his current number of nights camping.

So item 4 says 25 nights under the auspices........The following line says for each additional 25 nights..... I don't think that they should have to rewrite under auspices again in the following sentence.........

Exactly as written. Bytes as so expensive. :)
Ok KDD and BLW

Shakin my head....

Your unbelievable..... You going to your sons first job interview too.

Just got an email back from National Advancement team regarding this award......It seems that since it is not advancement related that the Guide to Advancement does not apply......

So KDD's exactly as written does not apply.

He forwarded my inquiry to the appropriate team for a response. I will post it when I receive it.

So here is the response from national...Bill Evans was the fellows name.....A very prompt response, more than a little surprised and pleased.

"Bob, some awards intentionally do say under the auspices of the BSA while some do not. Hiking, Aquatics, and Riding say under the auspices. For those, that under the auspices also applies to the devices. "