Reinstate Environmentalist, Eagle Scout Kim Kuska as Scouter

Admittedly I've been a lurker since I rejoined with Scouting for my son two years ago. I only created the account a few months ago, because I was going to consider getting into the membership debate - but then thought better of it. No matter how well reasoned my thoughts on the subject, I wouldn't change the mind of anyone on either side of the issue.

I guess this one was just too close to home for me to remain silent.

• 1 month later...

The actions made by the operators of the Pico Blanco camp are repugnant and contrary to the mission of the Boy Scouts of America, which bears some of the shame and bad press (whether or not the national organization is actually responsible). This affects all Scouts, everywhere, and needs to be put right. Mr. Kuska must be reinstated. The operators of this Pico Blanco property need to have a nice sit-down with BSA, and ought to be asked to make a decision about whether THEY want to continue in scouting. If they do, they need to get with the actual program. That includes environmental stewardship, last time I checked. Mistakes are made, sure, but I see a consistent pattern and concerted course of action to extract financial value from a property, and actions to silence critics. Kinda reminds me of a coal company, really.

PS. The idea floated on this forum that Mr. Kuska is not an authority, because he's not a "noted" authority, is very troubling. Scouting at its best, empowers youth to make positive decisions and affect the world. Nobody starts out life as a "noted" anything. They become, by doing. Mr. Kuska was acting for positive change, by doing, under what appear to be sometimes hostile conditions. What a fabulous role model for youth everywhere. The guy is a hero.

Eric Muhs, Eagle Scout

• Upvote 1
The official statement from the Boy Scouts of America leadership is that Kuska was expelled for planting samples of the Dudley Lousewort in inconvenient areas; however, it is widely speculated that his whistleblowing contributed to the decision.

I am not naive enough to believe wholeheartedly in the BSA statement nor the forchange.com statement so I won't be signing any petitions or lobbying an BSA executives. However, it is troubling that this has occurred - you'd think that grown men Kuska and the council leaders could work something out.