UU Religious Award/Emblem

My son and I have been working for months on the UU Religion and Me award and we're about to start Religion and Family. I contacted PrayPub and they still have the awards. I read in another thread that these are not valid any more by BSA because of the problems between the UU church and BSA. But I thought that had been resolved. Our pack leadership says they are happy to have us regardless of religious beliefs and they were not aware of these issues. Does anyone know for sure if the UU awards are accepted by BSA? I must say it really stinks to have to be concerned about this. Thanks.

The UU religious awards are now, and will always be, "valid". At least for as long as UU supports these awards.

Religious awards are NOT BSA awards. They are created by the individual religious organizations, for their own youth members, to help them learn about their faith.

The only "validation" that BSA gives religious awards programs is to allow the award (usually a medal) to be worn on the BSA uniform. They can NOT stop youth from earning any religious award they, or their families, wish to.

Also, while BSA might not allow a particular award/medal to be worn on the BSA uniform, the Scout can still wear the BSA purple/silver square knot for earning the religious emblem of his faith.

If you're working on the award through the UUSO, that particular award is recognized. Trevorum can give you more info. The original award through UUA is still not recognized. I could be wrong but I think the UUSO was organized in response to BSA's action and they worked with BSA to create awards for UU boys that BSA was willing to officially allow on the uniform.

If this is confusing to you, that's understandable.

ScoutNut has it right. The UUA religious awards are valid, as it isn't the BSA's call, it's the UUA's call. Yes the BSA threw a tantrum and said "you can't wear the medal on your uniform", but you can wear the knot. The UUSO is an independent group (it isn't affiliated or recognized by the UUA the last time I checked) that has a set of UU religious awards that the BSA approves of.

I would ignore the BSA on this one, earn the awards and wear the knot (and medal) with pride.

This is a problem caused by a small group of idiots at national that unfortunately have a little power. They are wrong, they know it, and they don't care. They deserve to be ignored.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
ScoutNut has it right. The UUA religious awards are valid, as it isn't the BSA's call, it's the UUA's call. Yes the BSA threw a tantrum and said "you can't wear the medal on your uniform", but you can wear the knot. The UUSO is an independent group (it isn't affiliated or recognized by the UUA the last time I checked) that has a set of UU religious awards that the BSA approves of.

I would ignore the BSA on this one, earn the awards and wear the knot (and medal) with pride.

This is a problem caused by a small group of idiots at national that unfortunately have a little power. They are wrong, they know it, and they don't care. They deserve to be ignored.

I agree with Rick and ScoutNut on this.