bsa environmental contributions timeline

Hi, this question was asked in 1999 but not sure if anything was ever put on this site or anywhere. I've emailed the original poster, ect.

No answer yet.

For the environmental science meritbadge,requirement #1 timeline, you have to include some of the contributions of the boyscouts to the environmental sciences. It's still hard to find anything to include. Do any of you have any ideas of things we can include when we teach this badge (soon)? They want names, dates, contributions, anything would help.

Thanks in advance.

Usually that kind of stuff is in the merit badge pamphlet. I haven't looked at one in years, but it's probably there. If you've already looked there and didn't find enough information, there's usually a bibliography at the end of the pamphlet and you can check some of the resources listed.

DS

Hi,

just some random thoughts.... Meritbadge.com (Not Meritbadge.org !!!!!)

Scout handbook

Ernest Thompson Seton comes to mind real fast.... great artist visit the museum / library at Philmont. ( Perhaps just from an awarenees pt of view for the badge.

Waite Philips & other "land" donors check your local area. a nearby S(cout) R(eservation) might be part of an envirnomental land preservation program set aside or at least a "Stream Watch" site.

Bob

What we have here...is a failure to communicate.

The question is too vague. BSA as an organization has not done much in comparison to, say, the Audubon Society or the National Geographic Society. But I approach the requirement on a more personal level. In fact, BSA has taught an environmental ethic to the boys from the beginning. The ethic has changed over the years as our knowledge has changed. For example, back in the 50's we were supposed to burn out and bury our cans when camping in the wilderness. Now we have the 'leave no trace' ethic. There are many other examples.

BSA may not have led the environmental movement but it hasn't resisted it either. Therefore my thoughts are that BSA's major contribution was through increased awareness in the boys, an awareness that has evolved with our increased knowledge. What more could you ask?

Thanks to everyone who has replyed. The merit badge book was not too much help. I have used a few names of people involved in scouting and I have used the ideas like Leave no Trace, and the environmental awareness of the boys. Maybe the boys will come up with more. Thanks again.