Scout Leader Charged with Molestation

Evmori,

I am not so sure that it is bad press for BSA, given what goes on in the larger society and other youth groups. I think every parent or adult concerned about either their own children or others' children, realizes that youth organizations are vulnerable and attractive to pedophiles. The fact that so little of these things happen in BSA is worth reporting and celebrating. One would rather that these things never happen, but happen they will. The local scout organizations in this locale should make the point that they take YP seriously and that these kinds of incidents are rare in scouting.

The point about reserving judgment on the charged leader also merits repeating. False accusations do arise, and as scoutingagain pointed out, every single one of us is vulnerable to false accusations by spiteful youth. I have not personally seen this happen in BSA, but I have seen it happen in other youth groups where nothing like YP existed.

eisley,

I think it is bad press. But the up-side is the way the BSA deals with it. If found guilty, then membership should be revoked. Until a determination is made, the prudent thing to do would be to sort of give hims a "leave of absence".

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

NJ, Your first paragraph was funny!!! But boy, you just keep going on and on and on and on and then my eyes glaze over and my forehead hits the desk. Then it's time to read the news at Townhall.

Acco, what a coincidence, I think the same thing every time you post.

I believe that I have read that in about 80-90% of these cases, the charges are accurate and in about 10-20%, they are completely inaccurate and even intentionally false. And, without a complete and thorough investigation, it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell which is which. Sometime even then (he said, he said).

It is completely appropriate for a leader accused in these circumstances to be removed from contact with youth until matters are resolved. Other than that, one can only say that these situations do happen and when they happen, Scouting does its best to address and resolve them quickly and thoroughly with appropriate concern for the interests of all parties.