Women in the BSA

FOG

Do 2 wrongs make a right? You stated - "I find it interesting that GSUSA makes a big deal about having women as leaders to present a positive role model but BSA is PC and only wants "adults" as role models." Can only men be role models? I'm quite happy with having women involved in Scouting, at all levels. My Wood Badge Troop Guide is a women and I am proud to be under her quidance

YIS

Paul

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What surprises me the most about this issue is how laid back Council is in dealing with the units that still exclude women from signing on as leaders, or, restrict the women from going on outings. We have a number of Troops in my area that do this and it seems that Council is willing to go along with it.

On the other hand, I am fairly familiar with two of these Troops and I can attest to the fact that they have no problem recruiting new boys. The parents, actually the moms, dont seem to have a problem with it.

I have no problem with women in the BSA. I can see a problem, however. If a Troop has all female leaders goes cabin camping in the winter and the cabin doesn't have a separate room then who is sleeping outside in the tents? And if there are no facilities in this council to accommodate females & males in cabins, this might curtail winter camping for this unit.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

"So...Whats your point other than you wanna make stupid ill warented comments."

That from 16 year old firstaidchild directed to FOG was disrespectful and rude.

I've noticed that some of you don't say boo when that atheist reprobate spews his hatred of BSA onto this thread, but want to limit Old Fat Guy's to posts that you might agree with.

"So...Whats your point other than you wanna make stupid ill warented comments."

That from 16 year old firstaidchild directed to FOG was disrespectful and rude.

I've noticed that some of you don't say boo when that atheist reprobate spews his hatred of BSA onto this thread, but want to limit Old Fat Guy's to posts that you might agree with.

I wasn't finished yet....

In our troop, we allow and encourage conversation and differing opinions, but we don't allow 16 year olds to call an adult or an adult's opinion "stupid". That dog don't hunt.

If you allow teenagers to speak like that in your presence you might as well put out the campfire, cancel the campout, and just tune in to MTV full time.

I would hope that everyone regardless of age would live up to the Scout Law in these forums.While we may not agree with the opinions of some we don't have to resort to name calling.

My old school motto is "Manners Make the man."

Eamonn

I did forget to mention that the troop I grew up in and am now a leader in never allowed mothers to do anything, outside of driving the kids to weekly meetings. They were never asked to go on trips, and it was strongly implied that they werent welcome on them, in my years in the troop we had one mother go, who managed to complain the entire time on a relatively easy hike, and wanted to pay for her and her son to sleep in a near by rafting camp that had a small cabin. In fact even the tasks most would equate as the mothers job, sewing on badges and baking cookies for COHs and Scout Sunday are tasks left to the boys. I would also like to point out that I define a man, not as an adult male, but as an individual who takes responsibility for his actions, works hard, takes care of his business and his families in an intelligent and respectable way, Im aware that this contrast can cause issues in meaning. Now that I sound like Dr. Laura, I best be off to getting me a darn good edgumacation in du skooleing stuff.

I did forget to mention that the troop I grew up in and am now a leader in never allowed mothers to do anything, outside of driving the kids to weekly meetings. They were never asked to go on trips, and it was strongly implied that they werent welcome on them, in my years in the troop we had one mother go, who managed to complain the entire time on a relatively easy hike, and wanted to pay for her and her son to sleep in a near by rafting camp that had a small cabin. In fact even the tasks most would equate as the mothers job, sewing on badges and baking cookies for COHs and Scout Sunday are tasks left to the boys. I would also like to point out that I define a man, not as an adult male, but as an individual who takes responsibility for his actions, works hard, takes care of his business and his families in an intelligent and respectable way, Im aware that this contrast can cause issues in meaning. Now that I sound like Dr. Laura, I best be off to getting me a darn good edgumacation in du skooleing stuff.

Sturgen,

When you Said: "If you want your son to grow and mature into a self-sustaining man then you will let him learn to deal with uncomfortable situations on his own," you make a good point, and I agree with you. This is why I do not go camping with him. However, when you continued with: "with out you there to help him with a blanket and pacifier.", you simply became inflamatory. I am a protective parent, however, I am not a mother who hovers over her child never allowing him to make mistakes or to learn from them. And if you knew my son, you would know that he has never used either a pacifier or a blanket. He knows his own mind, so he doesn't need an overprotective mother. He also knows when things are not right, or to his liking and that he has every right to speak up about what he doesn't like. He also knows he can depend on me checking on all the facts before I react to anything. WHich means that if he is having problems on camping trips, I will be going on the next trip and observing events. That is my job as a parent, not just a Mom.

OGE stated, " Neither has indicated that men are pariahs on the camp-outs that THEY attend."

Ask them where the men MUST pitch their tents.

ScouterPaul asked, "Do 2 wrongs make a right?"

Who siad that the girl Scouts were wrong? I'm just poining out that no one questions the GSUSA policy as vocally as they oppose BSA policies.

ScouterPaul continued, "Do you treat the youth in your unit with the same amount of disrespect that you have shown Firstaider?"

Not if they keep a civil tongue in their heads.

TP, thank you.

Nobody has commented on this statement: "above the Cub Scouting Program".

I see this as a problem within the BSA for many. They see Boys Scouts, Sea Scouts, Venture Scouts etc. as "above" Cub Scouts. They are not. Yes they are older but the programs are not "above." The BSA, not that long ago, once tried to exclude the younger boys, the Cub Scout program, from the BSA. Now, Cub Scout membership dwarfs the rest of the BSA.

From my perspective, excluding males or females on the surface does not benefit the BSA. That is not to say that all males or all females should we welcomed as members. Also, individual units (aka Chartered Organizations) should be free to make these exclusions if they felt the need. Personally, I would have no desire for my sons to join a unit that excluded a gender but that's just me. Don't get me started on the blanket exclusions of other facets of our society.

Scoutmom:

This is why I do not go camping with him. Which means that if he is having problems on camping trips, I will be going on the next trip and observing events.

So which is it, do you go camping or not?

He also knows when things are not right, or to his liking and that he has every right to speak up about what he doesn't like. He also knows he can depend on me checking on all the facts before I react to anything.

To me this says, if hes not happy I check up on it. Welcome to life, its not supposed to be all fun and games, maybe he doesnt like the stew he had for dinner on a trip, or his he doesnt get to share a tent with his best friend, who cares, its part of life. Now if there is an actual, and serious safety issue I have no issue with someone checking up on him, however it is my humble opinion that this is a job best left to a father, or a father figure, even an older brother or cousin, when in regards to a BSA function.