Advancement Coord. That Refuses To Allow A SM To Handle TroopMaster Database....

For those of you familiar with how the master system and satellite systems work on the TroopMaster program, I have a question for you.

Why should an Advancments Coord. be handling the ENTIRE (Master) database and providing the Scoutmaster with a read-only program?

We have an Advancements Coord. and their spouse, an ASM (who used to be the SM) that refuses to change their system from the Master to an "Advancements Satellite" and their reasoning is "We have a superior method for data safety and virus protection."

Shouldn't the Advancements person be handling ONLY the Advancements? To me, this makes sense.

If the SM isn't the Master Database controller, he can't make any adjustments whatsoever to TroopMaster, to include Patrol assignments, Adult Leader assignments; he can't update or adjust the calendar, input new scouts or basically anything.

With the Advancements person refusing to give up the the main database, they are maintaining complete control of the Troop and not allowing the SM to do his job, wouldn't you say? The SM has asked the Advancements person to make changes, and at times the Advancements person plain refuses to make the changes! Isn't this program interference?

What to do, what to do...

Sounds like a control freak; had one of those in a previous unit, who didn't want anyone doing a single keystroke in TM except her. OK, fine. Here's what I need, and laid on my requirements for rosters, reports, and so on. To her credit, she kept up, and turned everything I needed. Still, it's a single point failure node, and not the optimal way to do business. (Besides, I'm told that as soon as her son earned his Eagle, she ran like someone was chasing her).

Currently, our CC runs TM and does the updates, then exports the files to me on my thumb drive. We've talked about going to TM on the web, so we can get more "real time" updates, but the inclination and opportunity haven't struck yet. As it is, we're no more than a couple days behind, so it works okay. Plus, he and I are the only ones who actually manipulate data in TM, so we don't have the same issues you do.

I wouldn't say the Advancement chair monopolizing TM prevents an SM from doing his/her job. In some ways, it can make it easier, provided that they're responsive and stay up to date, as ours was in my previous unit. If that's not happening in your case, you need to bring it to the attention of your committee chair, I think.

KS

Don't know how big your unit is or how much historical data is at stake, but one extreme solution would be to purchase another copy of TM and start over. Then just feed the Adv person the data she needs to do her job and you maintain the rest. Quit feeding the beast, and maybe it'll go away. (although that didn't work with my grown kids!!!)

That's the way it is in our troop and it works great. I am very happy to have a wonderful, dedicated volunteer who manages all of the troop records. I'm glad I don't have to spend my time on the troop computer. I give her data for input and she gives me printouts on request. Sure it takes a bit more coordination and teamwork, but the team is stronger for it.

I agree with Trevorum. I prefer having one person I can trust handle all of the data input. That leaves me in a review stage and takes far less of my time.

Judging from your other post, what you are dealing with is a broader control issue between the new SM and the old SM. That needs to get resolved first. As long as the information is being input timely and correctly, and the new SM has access, I don't see where it should be a big problem. Take care of the big issue and this smaller problem will take care of itself.

Guest OldGreyEagle

This is a duplicate, more or less, of a thread in the Open Discussion area, I am going to lock this thread, dicussion will continue in the Open section.