The BSA with no rank advancement

My general observation, though, is that the scouts enjoying the program are earning rank the fastest. I don't think getting rid of rank advancement will fix the ills of BSA. I think reducing paperwork merit badges would be the best thing to do. I would combine the three citizenship badges back into one. I would combine Family Life and Personal management into a single badge. I would add to the outdoors badges required.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Advancement and adventure used to coexist in the BSA.   I recall, as a scout in the '70s, some encouragement. But not much. Most leaders took the angle: If you want to earn Eagle, great, get

Gasp! Next I suppose you will propose that kids could get benefit from organizing their own neighborhood teams to play baseball in the summer in some vacant lot somewhere. How can kids be expected

My first thought was the same as qwazse's that Boy Scouts without advancement is Venturing. At least in our neck of the woods. Maybe a restructure along the lines of jblake's note is appropriate? M

My general observation, though, is that the scouts enjoying the program are earning rank the fastest. I don't think getting rid of rank advancement will fix the ills of BSA. I think reducing paperwork merit badges would be the best thing to do. I would combine the three citizenship badges back into one. I would combine Family Life and Personal management into a single badge. I would add to the outdoors badges required.
Our office no longer keeps a copy of the blue card, just the advancement report. So, if a merit badge is to verified as from a registered counselor, then it is up to the unit to do it. Most actually do; but I am sure there are a few that just shrug it off as a minor detail or unneeded chore.

Joining the party late, but oh well.

So far oldest has visited 2 troop meetings and camped with 2 troops for a total of 4. First pushed the advancement angle, but had serious challenges over the weekend camp out. Kinda sad when a dad had to mime to his First Class scout what to do, and the SM was speaking very loudly to another leader while his scouts are within hearing range. Oldest was not impressed.

Second troop let the Scouts have fun with the Webelos, to the point that an adult cooked dinner so they could have more fun, plus the cook is an awesome chef. tongue.png BUT the scouts did the clean up and were in charge. Son had a very good time and brought back memories.

Third troop was the "organized chaos" meeting. Older guys were preparing to go backpacking for a week on the AT, younger guys not going were working on basic scout skills with 2 older scouts not going on the AT trip.

Fourth Troop was another organized chaos one. Relatively new troop, been around about 3-4 year now, but leaders are outstanding. SPL didn't show up, but one of the PLs stepped up to the plate. OK the meeting didn't turn out as it was planned, but the PL adapted, improvised, and overcame. Everyone had fun.

The comment made by three of the troops was that we will provide you the opportunity for advancement, but you are responsible for doing, getting it recorded, and keeping track of it.

And what made me proud of my son was the following, "Dad, I want to join a troop that camps a lot." wink.png

Joining the party late, but oh well.

So far oldest has visited 2 troop meetings and camped with 2 troops for a total of 4. First pushed the advancement angle, but had serious challenges over the weekend camp out. Kinda sad when a dad had to mime to his First Class scout what to do, and the SM was speaking very loudly to another leader while his scouts are within hearing range. Oldest was not impressed.

Second troop let the Scouts have fun with the Webelos, to the point that an adult cooked dinner so they could have more fun, plus the cook is an awesome chef. tongue.png BUT the scouts did the clean up and were in charge. Son had a very good time and brought back memories.

Third troop was the "organized chaos" meeting. Older guys were preparing to go backpacking for a week on the AT, younger guys not going were working on basic scout skills with 2 older scouts not going on the AT trip.

Fourth Troop was another organized chaos one. Relatively new troop, been around about 3-4 year now, but leaders are outstanding. SPL didn't show up, but one of the PLs stepped up to the plate. OK the meeting didn't turn out as it was planned, but the PL adapted, improvised, and overcame. Everyone had fun.

The comment made by three of the troops was that we will provide you the opportunity for advancement, but you are responsible for doing, getting it recorded, and keeping track of it.

And what made me proud of my son was the following, "Dad, I want to join a troop that camps a lot." wink.png

Eagle92, thanks, that made my day!

If Boy Scouting were indeed simply an "Eagle Factory," you would think that there would be a much higher percentage of boys earning Eagle. Instead it sits at 7% in 2012--a year when boys were particularly motivated because of the centennial. Most years it's about 4%. Granted, a higher percentage than in the 60's, but hardly indicative of an epidemic of "high-speed, low-drag" mediocrity.

When I read comments about adults who earned their Eagles back in the glory days of scouting, and how inadequate everybody that has come after them is by comparison, it sounds like the most petty bunch of sour grapes. I can just see the same adults on their rocking chairs on porches some day, entertaining their grandkids with stories of how they had to walk 20 miles to school each day, uphill both ways, in snowstorms that lasted well into July.

We have a troop that brags that their Eagle percentage is 80% of boys that join. Explain to me exactly how is that possible????

While I don't think that the BSA is just an Eagle Mill....There are units that abuse it and then BSA simply becomes another class room exercise.

So with falling membership numbers why is the percentages on eagle going up??? More dedicated youth??? Easier requirements????