Did anyone else get hate spewing email this morning?

There are two cotrolling policies on statements of political support or activism that apply to the uniform issue:

1) The rules governing when and where to wear the uniform are clear. Essentially, if it is not a Scouting activitiy then its a no-no. I think we are all smart enough to know where the grey areas are. Wearing it to a 5k for breast cancer because the Scouts are doing a flag ceremony? Yes. Wearing the uniform because your troop is setting up chairs for service hours? Yes. Doing those same funcations at a political rally? No. When in doubt ask your council.

2) As far as badges or patches like the rainbow knot, the Insignia Guide and BSA policy on approved licensees of BSA products are also pretty clear. If the temp patch is making a statement or supportive of a cause it cannot be worn. Period. That goes for gay rainbox ribbons, breast cancer ribbons, wound warrior patches, etc.

In my troop we follow a simply policy: If it did not come from the Scout Shop, Council, District or OA we simply do not wear it. The ONLY exception are homemade neckerchief slides (as long as they follow guidelines), temp patches we do as a troop (very seldom and done through classB) for special events and that's it.

I even asked an ASM to remove his "I Voted" sticker at a meeting last fall. Rather than invite argument or debate I thought it best remove it. He did...without question.

Krampus said:

"I even asked an ASM to remove his "I Voted" sticker at a meeting last fall. Rather than invite argument or debate I thought it best remove it. He did...without question."

I would say that's going a little too far. Obviously if it said "I voted for Smith" (or whoever), that should not be on the uniform. But if it's just "I Voted", and it's one of those temporary stickers that you wear once and throw away, and it's Election Day, I think it's a good example for the Scouts participating in one of the rights and obligations of citizenship. And that's one of the things we are supposed to be "teaching", in a non-partisan and non-political manner.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krampus said: "I even asked an ASM to remove his "I Voted" sticker at a meeting last fall. Rather than invite argument or debate I thought it best remove it. He did...without question." I would say that's going a little too far. Obviously if it said "I voted for Smith" (or whoever)' date=' that should not be on the uniform. But if it's just "I Voted", and it's one of those temporary stickers that you wear once and throw away, and it's Election Day, I think it's a good example for the Scouts participating in one of the rights and obligations of citizenship. And that's one of the things we are supposed to be "teaching", in a non-partisan and non-political manner.[/quote']

Yep. And I noted that when I asked him to take it off that it was a neutral sticker but did not conform with the uniform policy. Were it a temp badge, sure. We don't allow the Scouts to wear stickers so the policy had to be evenly applied to the adults. He understood and even agreed.

There are two cotrolling policies on statements of political support or activism that apply to the uniform issue:

1) The rules governing when and where to wear the uniform are clear. Essentially, if it is not a Scouting activitiy then its a no-no. I think we are all smart enough to know where the grey areas are. Wearing it to a 5k for breast cancer because the Scouts are doing a flag ceremony? Yes. Wearing the uniform because your troop is setting up chairs for service hours? Yes. Doing those same funcations at a political rally? No. When in doubt ask your council.

2) As far as badges or patches like the rainbow knot, the Insignia Guide and BSA policy on approved licensees of BSA products are also pretty clear. If the temp patch is making a statement or supportive of a cause it cannot be worn. Period. That goes for gay rainbox ribbons, breast cancer ribbons, wound warrior patches, etc.

In my troop we follow a simply policy: If it did not come from the Scout Shop, Council, District or OA we simply do not wear it. The ONLY exception are homemade neckerchief slides (as long as they follow guidelines), temp patches we do as a troop (very seldom and done through classB) for special events and that's it.

I even asked an ASM to remove his "I Voted" sticker at a meeting last fall. Rather than invite argument or debate I thought it best remove it. He did...without question.

There are two controlling policies on statements of political support or activism that apply to the uniform issue:

1) The rules governing when and where to wear the uniform are clear. Essentially, if it is not a Scouting activity then its a no-no. I think we are all smart enough to know where the grey areas are. Wearing it to a 5k for breast cancer because the Scouts are doing a flag ceremony? Yes. Wearing the uniform because your troop is setting up chairs for service hours? Yes. Doing those same functions at a political rally? No. When in doubt ask your council.

False. http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/03/08/can-packs-troops-teams-or-crews-participate-in-political-rallies/

They may wear the uniform to perform a flag ceremony, but they must immediately leave, or change out of uniform.

There are two controlling policies on statements of political support or activism that apply to the uniform issue: 1) The rules governing when and where to wear the uniform are clear. Essentially' date=' if it is not a Scouting activity then its a no-no. I think we are all smart enough to know where the grey areas are. Wearing it to a 5k for breast cancer because the Scouts are doing a flag ceremony? Yes. Wearing the uniform because your troop is setting up chairs for service hours? Yes. Doing those same functions at a political rally? No. When in doubt ask your council. [/quote'] False. http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/03/08/can-packs-troops-teams-or-crews-participate-in-political-rallies/ They may wear the uniform to perform a flag ceremony, but they must immediately leave, or change out of uniform.

I think what he meant was outside of flag ceremonies. At least that's how I read what he wrote. Doing flag ceremonies has always been allowed.