• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Merlyn: Let's start with the really early one, the Randall's, twin cubs in Orange County back in the 90's. The father, a lawyer, sued the BSA because they were atheists. Interesting that one of the of them was quoted attributing nature to "Mother Nature", when asked how he accounted for it. Hmmmmm; dad did not get to monitor his thought process that time. They lost by the way, eventually, though the father pushed it until they were turned down for Eagle.

How about the ongoing San Diego camp suits? Those "adults" claim their kids are not able to use the camps because they are administered by BSA. But the general public is allowed to use them, even if not members.

I am sure with a bit of additional digging, more of these examples can be found. Not directly related to scouts, but connected, is the lawyer father that sued the school district on behalf of his daughter because of "under God" in the POA. That was thrown out, but certainly she was his pawn, especially since the mother had no problem, nor did she ask him to do it.

Your response should should be interesting, as these are "easily" documented.

It is irrelevant. I will keep showing up to the meetings on monday nights and camping and hiking a couple of times every month as long as the boys keep showing up.

Other than that all of the blogin and hatin are irrelevant because I don't get any support from the District or council and only on line training from national.

Again, the problem is that the so-called and self-described inclusive and tolerant folks who would love to take down the BSA and dance gleefully on its grave are not just atheists, they are anti-theists. It's a whole cadre of "freedom from religion" folks who simply cannot stand to see an organization that includes a theistic component exist.

For all the talk of "coexisting," anti-theists sure don't have a lot of tolerance for organizations that do not share their belief system.

Not for ones that pretend to be for "all boys" yet reject atheist boys, no.

Sentinel947, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_interests_(rhetoric)

Well skeptic, why did the Randall twins stay in scouting for years during the court fight? Sounds to me like they wanted to stay in, since they did, in fact, stay. The BSA wanted to throw them out for years.

How about the ongoing San Diego camp suits? Those "adults" claim their kids are not able to use the camps because they are administered by BSA. But the general public is allowed to use them, even if not members.

The general public is only allowed to use it after BSA members get to reserve its use, and the BSA testified that they book it 100% during the summer months with their own members; the general public only gets to use it about 20% of the time overall. That's not even as fair as having to sit in the back of the bus, since you arrived at the destination just the same.

Merlyn: I do not need a wiki link to a child. I was so recently one myself. FAR more recently than you.

So when Skeptic makes a post, and you reply, "THINK of the CHILDREN!!!!!eleven!!!" and since we have a lack of face to face communication, I do not understand what the purpose of your statement was. Hence I asked for clarification.

Respectfully yours,

Sentinel947(This message has been edited by Sentinel947)

Not sure where you get your details on the camps Merlyn; but Balboa swimming pool is open period at certain times, just like all public access pools. Balboa only books part of the property during "part" of the summer for scouting activities. The pool, many of the meeting areas, and even some of the trails are open even when cubs are using the actual camp sites.

Fiesta Island has a Scout specific camp during most of the summer; but since they were asked to build it by the other using groups, they also get first summer usage. Remember, they maintain it and furnish all the facility equipment and safety personnel. Other than summer, it is simply open to first come, first served. The fact that scout groups may actually plan further ahead may make them more often the user, especially during key dates.

Now, you are "whining", because the scouts actually utilize the facilities they built and maintain.

Again, the Randall twins were allowed to continue, once it was established they were not yet sure about their beliefs, but rather following the father's lead. Once they were old enough to make their choice, they lost. But, the reality is, and was, dad was simply looking for notoriety.

The questions that go unanswered and the points that are ignored are perhaps the most telling in this forum...

Well, look at the bright side. If the anti-theists ever succeed in their mission (stated or otherwise) to have the BSA go away, all the displaced boys will have a home in the notable youth organizations run by atheist groups, which are of course known far and wide for their community and charitable works.

Merlyn: I do not need a wiki link to a child. I was so recently one myself. FAR more recently than you.

Well, you failed to notice that the link I gave was NOT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children

but instead was this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_interests_(rhetoric)

The forum software doesn't scan a link past the apostrophe, so you need to copy and paste the entire link.

Balboa only books part of the property during "part" of the summer for scouting activities.

Yeah, well, the lawsuit is over how the BSA has religious requirements and how atheist and gay taxpayers have inferior access.

Again, the Randall twins were allowed to continue, once it was established they were not yet sure about their beliefs, but rather following the father's lead. Once they were old enough to make their choice, they lost.

Nope. They lost because the court ruled the BSA was not covered under the Unruh act. The BSA wanted to throw them out years earlier, they were only stopped because the court wouldn't let them while the case was active.

The questions that go unanswered and the points that are ignored are perhaps the most telling in this forum...

The questions that are vaguely referred to can't but help to be ignored.

If some camp told me they don't want me to attend because of some belief I had, they would be the last place I would want to stay in the first place. Sue them for discrimination? Nope, I got better things to do with my time. Now if I had some other agenda, maybe I would consider it. But even if I win, I'm still planning on staying someplace else, someplace where I am welcomed.

And yes, I'm in a minority group that gets discriminated a lot.

Stosh

If some camp told me they don't want me to attend because of some belief I had, they would be the last place I would want to stay in the first place. Sue them for discrimination? Nope

This isn't just "some camp", it's on public parkland.

You can ignore violations of your rights if you like; I won't.

I dunno, I care about children outside of the BSA. I don't think my "tears" are of the crocodile type.

Maybe you know me better than I know myself? Unless you are talking about Skeptic, which I think that isn't accurate either.

Perhaps I misunderstood you again, as I normally do. It's so easy to do when I am so young and foolish.

Respectfully yours,

Sentinel947(This message has been edited by Sentinel947)